Something mean for a 30g

Sye

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have an empty 30g tank and I'm looking for a fish to go in it with an attitude and a bit savage....I know its to small for an Oscar, is there anything else that will fit?

Dwarf snakeheads are pretty nasty, or you could try one of the smaller aggressive cichlids like salvini's or one of the Crenicichla species.

would they out grow the tank though? How many would fit in?

A 30 gallon is not too small for an oscar. It'll actually do quite well in there depending on the measurements. is it at lest 3 feet long? If so and oscar will be fine. :nod:

Its exactly 3 feet long, I thought an Oscar needed a min of 50g

There is no way a oscar can live in a 30 gallon tank for life!!!! Oscars reach at least 12" and require a tank of 48x18x18 minimum.

The fish i mentioned could stay in a 30g for life.

Try the Polypterus retropinnis; a really cool looking eel-like fish that gets a max of eight inches. Either that, or many of the Knife fish are good, neat-looking predaceous species.

Another fish I read about (it may be harder to get, however) is the Black-Finned Colossoma. It gets eight inches and is described as being "a moderately dangerous fish." It needs live foods such as shrimp, baby fishes, and pieces of meat; it does not readily take dry food.

I think the nastiest possible fish that might fit in a 30 gallon would have to be the Dark-Banded Piranha. These guys get nine inches long (don't get the spotted piranha, it gets 14), and their vicious nature is legendary. WHen you handle it in a net, care should be taken not to let bite your hands. Special nets are also required, as it will destroy even the best of nets with its razor-sharp teeth. They must be maintained apart, as they will tear eachother to pieces. This is in contrast to their natural schooling habit in the wild. Many times when dealers who keep them take dead fish out from their other tanks, they simply throw them to the piranha where they dissappear in a short time.

Never2Bknown said:
Either that, or many of the Knife fish are good, neat-looking predaceous species.
As far as knifefish go, most won't be able to live in a 30g tank for life. Clown knives get 2-3 feet long, and black ghost knives also get very large. You could try an African Brown Knife, which reaches around 8 inches and is an effective predator.

Most reactions

Back