Some Sorta Bug Thingy...

Natnie

New Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicestershire UK
hey...
was wondering if anyone could help...
in one of my mums tanks... we have found some sorta bug.
its microscopic... looks like about half or even a quarter of a millimeter...
also looks like a beige kinda colour... and swims rather fast.. there's quite a few of them..
my mum was wondering if they are parasites but we are unsure so asking for suggestions..
so all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks Natnie
 
If there are many many many of them and they stay at the bottom, they are harmless and a natural part of any tank.

I do forget what the exact terminology was for them, but they are detritus consumers and not parasitic.

Actually... I recall asking that very question myself... though it's been so many years that I can't even use the search function to find that post...
 
I would try and take a pic and load it up onto the site.
 
Have a look at the pinned topic on this forum; Hitchhikers in freshwater tanks and ponds. You should find them there.
 
From how you describe them, they sound like cyclops. They are little scavengers that feed on excess food at the bottom. They will not harm your fish, but may signal that your tank needs to be siphoned more often. Can you try to get some pics on please? ^_^

-fry_forever!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top