Some Random Questions

Bluetooth

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cleckheaton West Yorkshire
Hi guys.

I have been reading around about how people do their waterchanges, usually by and by people have some kind of large bucket which they dechlorinate and then add to the tank, and some others simply fill the tank straight off through a hose and then dechlorinate and such however i have a couple of questions

1) Since my tank went in the PH has equalised out to around 6.6 which im very happy with, i have 2 peices of bogwood in my tank and 1 peice of mopani creating a center peice (corner tank), however, the water out of my tap especially if i use the warm water to equalise the temperature in the tank is around 8.5+ which worries me a bit. How can i get around this?

2) Along the lines of the dechlor quesiton, my corner tank is a juwel trigon and im running 2 filters in it, the juwel internal and a aqua one advance 1250, now if i add water without dechlorinating, apart from the temp and possible ph issue, the water with chlorine could kill the bacteria in my internal filter? or would it be fine by doing it that way and dechlorinating after?

3) Also, and i think this question may have been answered in another thread but i have read some people use 2x the stated dose for dechlorinator (i use tetra aquasafe) isn't this dangerous?

Thanks for the answers guys :)
 
Personally to make the water a little warmer as to not shock the fish I boil water in a kettle from the cold water tap then introduce it into the cold water in a bucket and with a thermometer I get the approximate temp of the tanks water which you will find becomes easier with time and experience.

I have read on here some were and I cant find the post, that you should not use the hot water tap due to the water going into a storage tank in your roof or a boiler (depends on your set up at home)

However I am sure there are some that do and some that do not and I am sure they all have good arguments for the way they do it.

I decided to heed the advice I read here (some were) and just heat up water from my cold tap in a kettle.

As for dechlorinating before and after there are two sides to this procedure as you said, and again both procedures are successful I chose to dechlorinate before, I think you just got to choose which one you are happy with.

Personally I use the prescribed amount of dechlorinater and I also use tetra aqua safe and have never had any problem with it.

However and this will come as no revelation tetra aqua safe is a lot cheaper if you purchase it on line than at the LFS, unfortunately I discovered this a little later than I would liked to off.

I do hope this helps a little :good:
Regards onebto
 
Thanks Guys.

To respond:

But wouldnt putting tap water into the aquarium kill off my bacteria in the internal filter (because of the chlorine?) or are the bacteria safe from chlorine?
 
Thanks Guys.

To respond:

But wouldnt putting tap water into the aquarium kill off my bacteria in the internal filter (because of the chlorine?) or are the bacteria safe from chlorine?


Apparently chlorine will kill any beneficial bacteria.
But....... when i top off my tank from evaporated water, i dont use a dechlorinator, but my tanks stats be fine. I think it depends on how much of the chloronated water you put in.
 
i fill mine up from the hose most of the time and add the dechlor in before i put it in or if someones about ill put half in before and then some more durin and then at the end...usin the correct measurments...and i use slightly cooler water to top it up because that always helps my cories spawn
 
I've also been told not to use the hot water, only cold. There are deposits in hot water tank. I know chefs will never use hot or warm water when cooking. It will change the taste of the food. That makes me wonder what is coming out of the hot water spout and don't want to give that to the fish.

I use the declor in buckets of cold water before I add to the tank and let them stand for a day. More time consuming, messier, but makes me feel better that I did add enough to neutralize the water.

E-mailed the company I use for declor. Adding more than called for does not hurt the fish. Someone sent me links for this as well and tests were done to see the effects of overdosing, can't remember exactly, but was like 50X or more added to water and no negative results. Can't find link again, if I do I'll send it your way.
 
I am looking and will send it to you. Worked all day and spent last 2 hours sucking up pea puffer fry with turkey baster. (Cleaned tank and sucked them up with gravel vac) Didn't even know they were there.

I'll find it soon
 

Most reactions

Back
Top