Some more critters in the new tank need identifying

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Raws69

Reaction score
Hi. Couple of pictures attached, the first 2 are worm like creatures coming out of the soil (added two to show the movement of those also under the soil) the second seems like a plant that has attached itself to the grass. Any ideas of what these are and whether I need to do something about them?

tank is at 4weeks cycle....

cheers

Attachments

• 9681022D-36D0-4A50-84D0-CDCEBD2B9853.png
    9681022D-36D0-4A50-84D0-CDCEBD2B9853.png
    955.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 10767C4C-E801-4369-8181-1B58B172D66F.png
    10767C4C-E801-4369-8181-1B58B172D66F.png
    861.1 KB · Views: 104
  • A7049A37-96B0-4B61-B7DB-7536CF8450F7.png
    A7049A37-96B0-4B61-B7DB-7536CF8450F7.png
    872.7 KB · Views: 99
detritus worms, there feed on decomposing food and plant matter they are harmless ,
the ones attached on the plant or sometimes atched on the glass is hydra they feed on tiny food particles that float past them they are harmless and will eventually die out

Last edited:
Hi. Couple of pictures attached, the first 2 are worm like creatures coming out of the soil (added two to show the movement of those also under the soil) the second seems like a plant that has attached itself to the grass. Any ideas of what these are and whether I need to do something about them?

tank is at 4weeks cycle....

cheers
The first 2 pictures are detritus worms but the third one kind of look like Hydra. I'm not exactly sure what they do but that's what they look like.

I wouldn't call hydra harmless either, they will eat shrimp and fry. I believe a largish black molly could and would eat them, but I've never liked getting a fish just to do a job unless it's a fish you'd keep and appreciate. I'm afraid I don't know how else to get rid of them, or why you have them - were any of your plants grown in outdoor ponds perhaps? That's usually how things like hydra make it into an aquarium.

Potassium Permanganate and Copper Sulfate are known to remove Hydra, but care must be taken.

You can physically remove them but carefully so as to ensure their complete removal.

Blue gourami, paradise fish and mollies or pond snails will eat them.

If you can remove your livestock you can heat the water to 40c/104f for at least 2 hours, vac the substrate then large water change.
Ensure water is back to normal temparature range before adding livestock back in.

I don’t have substrate, every plant has been purchased from those containers. I have 6 shrimp at moment so not sure about using chemicals. They are on the grass so I will try to clip the grass and extract them That way.

Showing my lack of knowledge now o_O Thought substrate was sand etc. Going to be hard to vac the soil as as you can see from the profile pic carpet of grass.

Hi just reading up on getting rid of hydra and some articles suggest fenbedzole (hope I got that right) anyone had experience with this and am I right this is safe for Shrimp?

Hi managed to get some “no-planarian” but what size dosage does it mean by spoonful?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 35

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back