Some Help With My Goldfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Uh oh, this is how it happens to all of us, we start with a goldfish then MTS is caught.....!

Haha I did plan back in June to get a nice proper tropical setup but put it on hold then yeah got given this fish and its taken over again.

Rather large hic up in the plan is that bleeping bleep who said they would sell me the tank this very morning and was all prepared to go collect it monday have blown me out saying the sold it to someone else after saying they would hold it for me and that it was fien to wait till then (had to get my dads van to help shift it) = me very very unhappy :<

/back to searching for tanks :(

Oh no! How bloody rude of them! I hope you gave them a right earful, I would have!

Oh no! How bloody rude of them! I hope you gave them a right earful, I would have!

Yeah it was more a strong worded text which I got a sarky respoonse back. Put me in a fowl mood all day!

Closest thing ive found to it in terms of price are

INTERPET AQUARIUM INTERPET AQ3 60cm square aquarium, built-in lighting, heater, pump, multi-filters and sundries, vgc. £30 The lot Contact:

JUWEL AQUARIUM Rekord 70 with integrated filter, pump and heater system in black. 61 cm w x 31 cm d x 46 cm h. VGC.

Both of those are no more than 60 litres each which is just under half the first tanks size and they dont even have stands :(

sigh..

Picked up an Elite Mini filter today for just over £10 and after some messing about I think the goldy is ok with it.

At first it was at full whack and I think he was struggling as the curent was going along the length of the tank along the side wall and along the front o_O

Turned it down and aimed the output at the tank wall and he seems ok :)

God I didnt half have a battle with my brother and his mate though trying to explain to them that I cant have anymore fish in the tank especially not an Oranda!

"They only cost a £1!"
" Your other one must be lonely!"
"But he looks so cool!"
"well the fish shop keeps loads of them in a small sized tank one will be fine!"

Also heard a woman on the pone while I was looking at filters say

"Oh whats that? the plecos dead? oh well just aswell really" and laughing as she handed over cash for new fish!!

SOme people make me sick -_-

For one oranda ( is that what he is? ) you need 30 gallons minimum and that's pushing it. 55 would be better. If you have a common goldfish or a comet or shubunkin ect, you'd best get a 55 gallon straight off. No offence but your brother and his friend should not be allowed anywhere near a fishtank if that's their attitude. The only reason shops keep so many in a small tank is because they are going to be sold quite quickly, not kept in there their entire lives.

Orandas get to about the size of an average orange ( big orange not a satsuma :rolleyes: ) . They need space to grow and they grow quite quickly. Your best bet is really to set up the big plastic bin tank while you look for a proper one. Or have you found someone with a pond to put him in? That's the best option alltogether if he's a common goldfish .

That woman sounds awful. :crazy: :shout:

Yeah I did tell them flat out that there's no way im getting anything else my common goldy is already in a tank not meant for him so they gave up after awhile :p

Ive still got fishly and i think im hanging onto him for a month or so which Is good as it will help my filter get set-up properly and ive also just got a much better job pay wise so ill soon be able to afford a big ole tank :D

OK im alittle worried.

Filters been running since my last post and nearly everyday im adjusting it trying to get the water current weak enough not to cause him any problems but at the same time oxygenate the water.

I cant seem to get it right, I thought I had but I noticed he was almost pushing against the current to get to one side then gliding back using it to get to the other so ive turned it down to the lowest setting possible and theres a very gentle current and no Aeration.

He still seems very active, darting back and fourth in front of the tank when im in the room and poking around the filter intake after scraps even right after feeding but he seems to be coming up for air quite frequently and more so than when the filter was creating bubbles and im just worried in case this isnt normal behaviour.

Any ideas?

Hopefully im worrying about nothing tho..

Rather than turing down the filters, how about adding a few decorations to the tank to break it? You can use almost anything, rocks, plants, terra cota pots.

As for the gulping air, do you feed him floating food? If so, I'd recommend pre soaking it or buying a sinking food so that he won't be going to the surface as often or injesting so much air, it can lead to swim bladder issues.

Rather than turing down the filters, how about adding a few decorations to the tank to break it? You can use almost anything, rocks, plants, terra cota pots.

As for the gulping air, do you feed him floating food? If so, I'd recommend pre soaking it or buying a sinking food so that he won't be going to the surface as often or injesting so much air, it can lead to swim bladder issues.

Ohh good idea I did think about getting something to break the current.

I normaly feed him flakes but they drop or get pulled into the current and blown lower or diced up carrot and peas even now hes running along the top of the water.

Good to know its not lack of oxygen or something though :)

As long as the surface of the water is moving he should have no problems with oxygen, as the motion of the water allows oxygen to mingle better . Is the filter outlet at the top? If not then move it up so the pipe is very slightly sticking out of the water and keeping it moving and rippling.

Decor is great, a tall bit of bogwood right in the way of the current should work, or a big rock.

As long as the surface of the water is moving he should have no problems with oxygen, as the motion of the water allows oxygen to mingle better . Is the filter outlet at the top? If not then move it up so the pipe is very slightly sticking out of the water and keeping it moving and rippling.

Decor is great, a tall bit of bogwood right in the way of the current should work, or a big rock.

Yeah ive moved the filter lower but the pipe that draws in air is just above the water. I also moved the ceramic treasure chest he hides in next to the the outlet so it breaks the current but allows him to still use it till I can grab some old pot or wood or somehting of the like.

Once I finally figure out how to get the gravel vac working properly ill be all set *knocks on wood*

Thanks again for the help :)

Gravel vacs are eeeeeasy.

Stick the hard pipe in so it's a cm or two off the bottom, suck on the other end of the pipe and point it into a bucket as soon as you see the water coming up the pipe. When the water is coming in, swirl the hard tube just over the gravel to stir up and suck up any uneaten food and poo. Keep an eye on the level rising in the bucket at all times though, if you concentrate on vacuuming the gravel and don't check the bucket, you can end up with it overflowing all over the floor!

I should know I did that the first few times I used mine :blush:

:good:

Most reactions

Back