So, What Next....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nry

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm starting to consider a major change to my 15 gallon tank. I will be running it as follows:

2wpg via 2 x 15w T8 tubes on for 8 hours per day
Estimative Index fertilising and water change routine
Pressurised CO2 and 4dkh/bromo blue drop checker
Tropica Plant Substrate below Hagen Black River Sand
Remove internal Juwel filter and use possibly TetraTec EX600 instead (I'll run this in well in advance so it is 'mature')

Plants I really like and will likely include these only:

Vallis mini twister
Pogostemon helferi
Utricularia graminifolia
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'

I have all of these plants already aside from the UG which I will need to buy.

Main layout aims:

1/3 in from left of tank I want hardscape focus point which will either be:

Iwagumi-style rock(s)
Mopani wood 'tree trunk and roots' taken from my current 5-gallon
Twig-style wood which my LFS stocks, lovely stuff

Any of the above will likely mixed with black semi-spherical pebbles, there is a layout in the Sep07 PFK that I really like and want to incorporate part of the ideas.

I will plant the vallis around and to the back of the focal hardscape but sticking purely (or to the majority only) at the back left/middle.

The windelov fern will be attached to the hardscape focal point or placed to the base of it if required - I really like this plant and how it has worked in my 5 gallon.

The UG will form a major area of the 'carpet' with patches of P.Helferi

Livestock will be:

6 oto's (have these)
~8 amano shrimp (have these)
5 pygmy cory (have these, may add 3-4 more)
15-20 rasbora maculatus or possibly 15-20 galaxy rasbora if I can source tank-bred ones. Both of these are tiny, I have 7 r.maculatus in my 5-gallon and may move these into this 15-gallon and get some more, max size is 1.5cm so cute :)

My main sticking point on the design is the hardscape - I like all of the thoughts I have, I'm leaning towards the 'twig-style' wood from my LFS, if anyone has any thoughts they are more than welcome!

It all sounds good. It will be a more difficult scape to balance if you use both rock and wood together - you may need to use some mosses to soften the rock.

Unfortunately I am rubbish at visualising things without pictures ... so I can be of little further help :-(

Dont worry about running the Tetratec in

Remove the media from the Juwel and put it in the space that is left when you remove tha carbon bag from the tetratec. Then you will still have the same amount of bacteria as before (prime the tetratec properly and it will pull tank water in, dont do it the way they show on the PFK video where they fill it up)

Andy

It all sounds good. It will be a more difficult scape to balance if you use both rock and wood together - you may need to use some mosses to soften the rock.

Unfortunately I am rubbish at visualising things without pictures ... so I can be of little further help :-(

I think it will work OK but if it doesn't I won't include the rock.

Soo, zooplus.co.uk has 10% off for new customers and free delivery on orders over £29, making the EX600 filter £42 delivered! That is cheap!

So, next question - do I go for the glass lily-pipe and intake tube set from AquaEssentials aswell?

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=1630

Or do I I go for the cheaper option of the JBL universal plastic one?

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=933

I'll probably plump for a glass drop checker aswell to ditch the slightly naff black/clear plastic JBL one. I'm thinking the lily-pipe should improve my CO2 efficiency so I may be able to cut down from the 60bpm I need at present.

Depends on the look you want to achieve. If you're going the Nature route and want to stick with the ADA style look, go with the glass :) I know I'd like to :p

Also, AquaticMagic do glass lillypipe sets for a similar price, and you would probably be able to make him an offer on them :) They look a little nicer in my opinion.

I can recomend the EX range of filters. I have the EX700 and I love it :)

The EX's have had superb reviews everywhere I can find them. The AquaticMagic ones are a tad cheaper, for either set, do I need any additional tubing or will they connect to the tubing that comes with the filter?

Also, if anyone can recommend an unintrusive internal heater that would be great - I like visitherm myself but they have loads of red on them - something plain but good quality would be ideal.

How about an external? I'm considering a Hydor ETH200 on my Rio 180. I've seen a few going cheap on eBay but missed them (damned social life!) Generally you can expect to pay £25 - £35 for them new.

Not so sure about internals, I have a 50w Rena Cal heater, its fairly muted colours - black and grey generally, with red for the heat setting (can be turned around so its not visible of course). The rena might suit :)

I figured 200w would be a tad overkill for a 54litre tank which is what puts me off them at present - it is a nice idea but not sure on the power?

I use a 200W Hydor inline on my 60l and it works a dream. It is a bit overkill, but I really like the look of not having a heater in the tank.

Dave.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back