So... Many... Babies!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NyanKat

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 90 gal. tank full of cichlids and they keep breeding!!!!! we usually get 3 survivors from each birth. I just wanted to know what to do with the babies. Thank you!!!!! 
tongue2.gif

View attachment 75872

Could either, keep them in a over stocked tank...

Give them to your LFS for store credit (minimum) or free.

Or kill them it your choice on what you do with your fry. :D

oh.... I dont like the third choice.... :{
ill think about it :p

I'll take any other suggestions if you have any! :D

Well, its not the most orthodox but it can be used. 

True
By the way sawickib out of your 3 choices I like #2 the most
:D
Does anyone else have suggestions?

Right now we have 15 cichlids in all :p

Advertise them in your local paper as either free to a good home or for a small price :)

fish store might take them to help slow down the production of new fry adding a larger cichlid to maybe speed up natural selection might work but i dont rly know anything about cichlids rly other than theyre protective and a bit complicated sometimes

sawickib said:

Or kill them it your choice on what you do with your fry.
biggrin.png

3rd option is not one I like to see but it does happen, especially if you leave the fry in the same tank as the adults, basically its fair game as this happens in the wild too :/

The other 2 options are perfectly fine provided you can do large water changes and have over filtration if you're planning on overstocking that tank.

Personally I prefer option 2 if you can return to LFS for some store credit IF they still do that, finding now most LFS wont give credit anymore unless a rare or desirable specie.

Failing that, asking family or friends who have tanks if they want some free cichlid provided they have suitable tank set ups and stocking.
Next option would be to advertise your fish for sale or for free in local papers or online.

A few options really, choice is yours ;) and good luck.

Ch4rlie said:

Or kill them it your choice on what you do with your fry.
biggrin.png

3rd option is not one I like to see but it does happen, especially if you leave the fry in the same tank as the adults, basically its fair game as this happens in the wild too
confused.gif

The other 2 options are perfectly fine provided you can do large water changes and have over filtration if you're planning on overstocking that tank.

Personally I prefer option 2 if you can return to LFS for some store credit IF they still do that, finding now most LFS wont give credit anymore unless a rare or desirable specie.

Failing that, asking family or friends who have tanks if they want some free cichlid provided they have suitable tank set ups and stocking.
Next option would be to advertise your fish for sale or for free in local papers or online.

A few options really, choice is yours
wink.png
and good luck.

Well i know a lot of people dont like to see that answer on here, but i do fish, and fish are fish to me. I do get attached to them but i do kill fish to eat. The only thing i frown upon is mistreating fish. 
And putting a smiley face after that answer really wasnt meant to be haha just did it at the end, and yea kind of has the wrong meaning 

Thank you! I think I might give them to my LFS. But I will still take other suggestions.
:p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back