snails...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

gr8kingrat

Reaction score
I bought some snail treatment today.....you think its safe to use?

I bought it thnking that it'll be fine...but now i'm having second thougts :unsure:

-dave

people will know my veiw on this by now i dont think its necesary to use snail treatments i think its vain. but i think that if you follow the instructions then there should be no advese affects. if they did do harm they would have allot of angry fish keepers on thir hands. if you want to get rid of your snails then by all means do it.

I find the problems with snail treatments are
1 they're not always very effective and
2 the ones that are effective can kill an awful lot of snails.
The snails you see in your tank tend to be a fairly small proportion of the total snail population. Effective snail killers get them all and this can place quite a load on your filter. This can stress fish and upset water quality.
I prefer to trap snails (there are plastic traps available) and reduce the population by providing less food. Snails are generally scavengers and live off the excess fish food in a tank. feed less (or nothing) for a few weeks and use a snail trap during this time.

thanks for the advise guys! :D

Where can i get a snail trap? are they available at any pet store?

thanks
dave

try leaving out a slice of cucumber with a vegetable clip at night. wait about 4 hours after ALL of the lights are off, and you will have a collection of snails on the cucumber slice. repeat.

Get a natural snail controller....Loaches, Puffers, and some Cichlids will effectively kill or control your snail problem.

Most reactions

Back