Snails

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

with the small snails (common), no benifits IMO, just more snails.

With apple snails and others i couldn't say. I do belive some types of snail are a benifit if u have sand as they burrow thought the sand and, agitate the dead spots within the substrate.

HTH

Snails do eat algae, so that's one benefit. However, when you put snails in your aquarium, you also risk introducing black spot--a parasitic disease that spends part of its life in snails, but part of its life in fish as well. It is for this reason that I never keep snails in my aquariums; I don't want to risk any parasitic diseases.

Snails eat algae. Snails eat left over food and other decaying matter. Snails look neat. Malaysian trumpet snails burrow though your substrate to help stir it up. I've never heard that snails are a great risk of parasites, but I suppose any time you bring a new life from "outside" your tank you risk infection from something, so it's quite possible.

As far as getting "more snails" this only happens when you have an excess amount of food available to them. They breed in direct relation to the amount of food available. Don't overfeed your fish, you'll keep your snail population in check. I have one tank with an apple snail (there were two, one recently died) and the other with an apple snail and MTSs. Finally the 10 MTS I bought have started doing their job and making some babies.

\Dan

Most reactions

Back