Snails?

lilacamy931

Starting again
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Bournemouth, UK
Hello, I seem to have a snail infestation going on and need help getting rid of them. I suspect they have gone mad from new introduction of plants to the tank and also overfeeding of a friends fish (whihc luckily has now gone) so back to regulated normal feedings with little to no waste.

Feed fish minimally? And try the veggie option? Put some in overnight sort of thing? There are loads, should I start picking them all out? Normally there has been the odd one or so and dealt with quickly but this is more extreme!
 
Probably the best course would be do a very thorough vacuum of the tank (gets rid of a few snails and anything they're feeding on in the substrate). Don't feed the fish for a few days, if you see any snails on the glass, squash them. Then go the cucumber/lettuce/some vegetable route to remove more snails. Repeat.

Although that's the fairly standard route, some people have more success than others. So all you can really do is give it a go, and if there's no improvement then start to consider other options.
 
This is your opportunity to set up a second tank for puffers, with a constant supply of live food! :)

I've never had any luck with the veggie trick, and instead of hunting the snails down I've always ended up buying a suitable snail-eating fish. Nowadays I rather like snails, though, so I just let them be. If you don't overfeed, and there isn't much algae growth in the tank, the snail population should settle to a manageable level on its own.
 
Thanks very much guys, will vac and repeat me thinks, simply as there usually isnt much food left over if any as they are bettas and ensure they eat all their pellets but algae is a problem due to the dividers and slow flow these guys like, so will try to reduce any food supplies as can. Thank you for the tips!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top