Snails

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

gra72

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently noticed several snails crawling around the inside of my tank. I assume that they came in onthe plants (although I washed them first). My first thought was that they shouldn't have been there, so I removed as many as I could. Since then several friends have said that they are beneficial, as they will eat algae.

So I am confused as to whether or not to let them be. Advice please....

Cheers,

Graham

Personaly i think there ok AS LONG AS THE POPULATION IS UNDER CONTROL
Its neat to have little(er) critters in your tank makes it more natuaral.

Really snails just eat and breed. So yes they will clean your tank up some and help whatever else is on your clean up crew. BUT they can easily get over populated thats there down side it looks nasty to have hundreds of small snails on the front of your glass. if you really want to get rid of them i would'nt use anti-snail chemicals. i hear they can hurt your fish too. So really what i think you should do (IMO) is leave em be then when things get out of hand take out bunches of em.

If they really bother you or are eating your plants you have a few options:

Add a snail eating fish such as the Clown Loach or a puffer species.
Hang a piece of meat just under the water surface overnight, in the morning you can dispose of the snails snacking on it.
Crush the buggers.

Please do not use anti-snail chemicals, you will still need to pick them out as rotting snails produce toxins.

Ken

Really snails just eat and breed.

You forgot to add that they also spend alot fo their time pooping too! :sick: I'm as understanding as the next person concerning bodily functions, but depending on your aquarium setup, this can be another downside. I have a sand tank and unfortuantely, snail poo tends to show up much more readily and err...vibrantly then the fish waste does. And there tends to be more of it to boot.

With that siad, I actually like snails and add them to all my tanks. I haven't had had to much trouble with an overabundance of them, but I maybe witnessing the first signs of trouble in one of my tanks. They've never harmed any of my plants before, but now my one jave fern is starting to look a little moth eaten and the snails are the only ones who mess with it :angry:

Oh, I'll also add that malayasion snails can be good for sand tanks because they spend most of their time tunneling underground...thus helping to cut down on dead spots in your tank.

Heh, I'm also planning on setting up a puffer tank later this year and if my snails become a problem...well, I can always make them "walk the plank" into the puffer tank :p I'm sure the puffer will welcome them open arms (and a hungery stomach) :nod:

What i do is simply squash them on the glass (May be inhumane but at least they don't feel it) and by squashing them on your glass your fish will get a free meal ;)

They've never harmed any of my plants before, but now my one jave fern is starting to look a little moth eaten and the snails are the only ones who mess with it

I have heard that snails will only bother plants like that when the leaves are already dying and starting to rot a little bit. Maybe the snails are just doing their duty at waste management?
I got a snail in my tank, must have made it over on one of my plants even though I washed them. With just one snail will I have to worry about little babies? Are snails asexual? Or am I saved from the menace of overpopulation of snails? I haven't had a problem with my snail yet. I am not sure what species it is but I am pretty sure it should be safe as the only snails that were in with the plants at the store were safe ones. Also, I see my snail at the top of the waterline partially out of the water all the time and still haven't managed to figure out what its doing!

Most reactions

Back