snails, shrimp or smething else?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

newfishies

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i have noticed that i have some green and brown algae growing on the big rock in my tank. the corys aren't doing anything about it, so i was thinking that i need another creature to remove it. i have been reading lots of pros and cons with snails (although i would just get one to avoid a population explosion). i am looking for as much info as i can , i am in no hurry, because i am currently treating my tank for ich. :dunno:
thanks for all your help!!!

Snails are not good at cleaning algea. I would recommend that you get a sucker such as a pleco. There is several different types. But I would get rid of that ick before I would introduce any new fish, snails, ect... I have two plecos in one of my 50 gal tanks and they do a wonderful job at cleaning. Don't ever have to worry about using this magnet that you put on side in the tank and the other on the outside and clean the sides that way. Good luck. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!

It also depends on what type of algae it is. If it is greenish-brown and growing in what appears to be sheets covering your decor, it may be cyanobacteria (a combo algae and bacteria) that I don't think many algae-eating fish will touch. If it is actually algae, and two kinds at that, you may have to look into getting different fish for each type, as not all algae-eaters eat all algae.

\Dan

I had a relatively large pond snail in with my goldfish for a while that seemed to do a prety good job of window washing, but he died, probably of old age, anfd I got a mystery snail. She's much bigger, but I have had to use my cleaning magnet with her in there.

Ottos seem to do a god job on nice green algae at least.
My limited experience with ghost shrimp suggests they are more scrap eaters than algae eaters.

It looks like you have a 10 gallon tank -- so a trio of otos would probably work well for you, though as everyone previously stated, it depends on what type of algae is in there.

Most reactions

Back