Snails In My Axolotl Tank!?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lightswitch

Reaction score
Hello

I seem to have loads of snails in my tank......they are tiny but every time I fish them all out with the net, I look the next day and there are loads more?! I need to get rid of them as I don't want them to start eating Mr Axolotl!!

Any ideas how to rid myself of these little critters?? Looks like they are still babies as they do get bigger if i leave them, and they start out quite transparent.

Thanks -_-

They wont harm the axoloti at all, axoloti do eat snails as part of their diet, so that may sort them out long term. Otherwise they do no harm and will do some good eating algae and any uneaten food. If you don’t want them there just keep fishing them out or put a bit of cucumber in and then lift it out after dark and remove the snails.

If you have a spare tank to keep the axolotl in for a while you could always dose the tank with copper based meds. Take the filter out as well and dose the tank with a double strength dose of meds which are copper based and leave it for a couple of weeks, this should get rid of the buggers for good or at least wipe most of them out (a second dose may be needed in a few weeks). Once it's run it's course just do a 100% water change and add the axolotl back with the filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back