snail questions

JacopoFishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
what is the maximum temperature snails can survive.....well, maybe not the best word, how about: "live happily in"?

also, how much room do they generally need? :dunno: hehehhe, I'm so oblivious with my snails.....

I'm honestly not sure what kind they are. they're small, one has a greenish blue shell and a dark body. the other has a brown shell and a light yellowish body. when I bought them they were just labeled as "assorted snails". next time I need to know exactly what I'm buying. I'm silly. :*)

Probably, from the sound of it, they're apple snails. Bridgesi species though it could be another species. Apple Snails are a varied group and look a lot alike. Anyhow, every species has a different temperature tolerance but most can do find in a temperature range between 68° and 82° but I would try to keep it between 72 and 78 if possible.

Teelie said:
Probably, from the sound of it, they're apple snails. Bridgesi species though it could be another species. Apple Snails are a varied group and look a lot alike. Anyhow, every species has a different temperature tolerance but most can do find in a temperature range between 68° and 82° but I would try to keep it between 72 and 78 if possible.
awesome, thanx a bunch Teelie. I'll lower the temperature in my 10 gallon a bit (2 degrees farenheidt so they'll be more comfortable) and add them in. that is, after I find out a bit more concerning how they'll affect the tank maintence.

I have my heart set on getting another betta and adding him to the 1 gallon bowl my snails are currently in. but now that I think of it, why couldn't they just share? hmm. what do you think the best arrangement would be? or should I not get another better because I lack enough space for the snails and fishies to all be happy as clams? :p

For the most part snails can be labled as "freebies" in terms of biological load. They do not require a lot of space and barely add anything in terms of waste. Your snails should be just fine with the betta, though if they are apple snails they will eventually get to large for a 1 gallon bowl. Some of them have the potential to reach the size of a baseball, though golf ball is more common.

\Dan

Yep, my largest Apple, "Mr. Magoo" is already golfball sized and still growing strong as near as I can tell. They'll be fine together in a 1 gallon for a long time though eventually the snail will just grow too big to feel comfortable in there.

http://applesnail.net has a lot more information on the snails too.

Most reactions

Back