Snail question....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Itsmemario

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but I was looking closely at my snail and there's like a star shaped part coming out of the shell.
I can't tell if it's part of the snail or if it's something else living in the shell?
I tried googling pictures of snails and didn't see it on other close up of snails.
20200908_122419_resize_93.jpg

Have to admit it’s a little unusual but like you, had a quick google search for anything similar and did not come up with anything like those markings.

I thinks it's just part of the shell marking but hard to tell.

Anyhow, if snail is moving around and eating algae etc, would not worry about it. Give it a name, maybe Ringo Starr or something like that! :lol:

Have to admit it’s a little unusual but like you, had a quick google search for anything similar and did not come up with anything like those markings.

I thinks it's just part of the shell marking but hard to tell.

Anyhow, if snail is moving around and eating algae etc, would not worry about it. Give it a name, maybe Ringo Starr or something like that! :lol:
But the weird thing is it moves separately! So it's not his actual shell.
He literally doesn't stop moving, eating and pooping lol. He poops more in a day than my betta does in 3 days haha

Also, what's a type of calcium I can put in the tank that's not harmful to a betta?

That is weird! Definitely looks like part of his body growing out with fingers onto his shell. Alien, huh? I'm interested to know if anyone has an explanation.

This is probably a dumb question but I was looking closely at my snail and there's like a star shaped part coming out of the shell.
I can't tell if it's part of the snail or if it's something else living in the shell?
I tried googling pictures of snails and didn't see it on other close up of snails.
View attachment 115615
I think it's normal although I don't know what it is. All of my bladder snails have the same exact thing!

View attachment 115615
Snail leech?

There are a fair amount of pictures online of it. It is the mantle lobe, which extends over the exterior of the shell. The mantle is the muscle that holds the body of the snail to the shell.

Some pictures of it from the internet:
1599607631514.png

1599607665714.png

1599607700668.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back