Snail in my tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sye

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I noticed today there was what looks to be a small snail on the back of my tank....I did'nt put it there so were did it come from??

Do you use live plants, usually that is where I've found them to come from the most often? Or perhaps one was in a bag with a fish you brought home. I actually like snails in my tanks, though with Cichlids, they don't last long.

Do you have live plants? Did you recently purchase a live plant? A lot of times they hitch rides on plants and end up in your tank.

I have'nt got any live plants and the last time I put new fish in the tank was 3 weeks ago???

snails when they are young are actually like swiming things so they could come in on the water from a tank with snails. you need two to make more tho they quickly become preggers.

Hi

You only need one snail to get more. They are hermaphrodites, having both male and female sexual organs, and can fertilise themselfs.

hermaphrodite
which means that one fish internally produces and self-fertilizes its eggs,

Apparently :nod: :beer: :fish: :eek:sama:

I don't think they'll get pregnant by themselves. They have both male n female sexual organs, so when they meet, one'll be the female n another the male in order to have babies! So they can switch roles!

Well, at least that's what it is for mine. I saw times when 2 of mine sticked together n later there'r eggs!

Perhaps it depends on sub-species.

:grr: snails invaded my tank about 2 months ago I'm still trying to get rid of the buggers! Yes now I am getting some loaches...hopefully they will take care of the problem. I've tried the lettuce leaf trick and my snail's like to stay on the sword plants & ignore the lettuce lol...

My first batch came in on a plant ( yes I was lazy and did not dip the plant before adding it to the tank) This time though I got it in with fish...they drive me nuts!

okay snail rant over lol

mollymomma, what kind of loach r u sonna get?

i wasn't even thinking about getting snails cause i knew that there would be a chance of snail invasion but to day my cousin asked me to get some and i said no and i explained why but she said it was cute!? :lol:

Kev

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back