Snail for a betta tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Melodie

Reaction score
So I've had my 9 gallon Fluval Flex up and running for a few months now (my very first tank, i'm new at this), with a betta and live plants that are growing in nicely. I've been considering adding a snail, but I want to make sure i'm doing it right so I have a few questions.

1. I'd like a snail that isn't going to reproduce as I don't really want an infestation, just a single snail. From a quick google search I see that nerite snails don't reproduce in fresh water. Have you guys found this to be true?

2. I know betta's are territorial and will attack other fish unless they are all put in at the same time, but is that the same with snails? Would my betta even be ok with me adding a snail to his home?

I would go with a nerite. I've had several bettas over the years and had a nerite in with all of them. Only one betta noticed the snail and that was when the snail was on the tank walls - presumably the betta thought it was something swimming into his territory. He flared at the snail but did nothing else.
Just one nerite though in a 5 gallon. You may get sesame seed like eggs on the decor but they won't hatch.

Mystery snails are an option but a lot of these snails' body is outside the shell, unlike nerites, and it has been known for bettas to mistake the snail's antennae for worms and bite them off. It depends on the betta whether it will do this or not

Betta eating the antennae is true for all snails, even nerites. As I posted here previously, many nerite owners didnt know the snail has antennae, long ones even, when they moved it out of the betta tank. However, nerite or clithon is still the best equipped snail for a betta, since it can hurt the least of it.

I think Nerite is the best option. I have a nerite with my betta and they do well together. The only point to note is that if you get a female nerite, they lay little white eggs everywhere that never hatch. I don't mind, but some people don't like that.

I would maybe say a clithon rather than nerite, let me show you mine, first pic is 2018, sorry bad quality, second is last month, not much better quality but if you focus, you can see the antennae and I never noticed them before, but she was always either with harlequin rasboras or a betta, I kept shuffling her between tanks.

Attachments

• neritina_2018.PNG
    neritina_2018.PNG
    237.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1651130665631.jpg
    1651130665631.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 42
I would maybe say a clithon rather than nerite, let me show you mine, first pic is 2018, sorry bad quality, second is last month, not much better quality but if you focus, you can see the antennae and I never noticed them before, but she was always either with harlequin rasboras or a betta, I kept shuffling her between tanks.
and yes I do know clithon and nerite are still technically both neritidae, but the horned nerite (aka clithon) is not as common known under just nerite as the zebra nerite (aka neritina natalensis )

10 gallon is the barest minimum for a mystery snail, they dirty up the water and they have massive antennae and a breathing tube the betta will for sure nip. It may be a torture for the snail, depending on the betta behavior and temperament. Also in eu they are already banned from keeping in captive as bad fishkeeping behavior means this snail is now spread in environments it really shouldn't. Not sure where you are from, might happen there too.
Though agreed they are absolute cuties. They eat plants in bulk though.

Most reactions

Back