snail care and keeping

JacopoFishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
just bought two new snails last night.....couldn't resist, they're cute. :p :) :wub:

but, uhh, I'm very oblivious as to their care :*) :unsure:
any general information at all on care, feeding(?), water changes, water quality, temp, would be wicked helpful!!

thanx a ton :)

-the ignorant snail lover :look: :lol:

Snails are very low maintenance, and if you keep them with fish, the same general guidelines for fish care apply to snails as well. A common misconception about snails is that they are strictly scavengers, but this is not the case, and provisions should be made to ensure they get a balanced menu as well (though many snails do spend significant amounts of time scavenging). Food like lettuce should also be fed, and they will eat just about anything you feed your fish as well, from flakes, pellets, and frozen foods. They are not picky, and in some cases are agressive feeders. I had a snail that if it got to an algea wafer before anyone else, it was his, and his alone. I like snails, they are interesting creatures, have fun with yours!

\Dan

Oooh! I just noticed too that your signature says that you have your snails in a bowl -- make sure you get a lid on there (if you don't have one already)!

Those lil' boogers will climb out and go "exploring" ;)

mandi said:
Oooh! I just noticed too that your signature says that you have your snails in a bowl -- make sure you get a lid on there (if you don't have one already)!

Those lil' boogers will climb out and go "exploring" ;)
hehehhe, thanx mandi. I shall do that. :)

I fed my snails lettuce the other day, they're still working on it.....but they adore it! Its quite amusing to watch, :wub: they'll crawl up the side of the bowl, attach themselves to the lettuce (which is floating on the surface) and then just hang from it! :lol: Silly snails..... :p

Another question, about how much room do these guys need?

I have to admit I'd like to put more in my 1 gallon bowl, but am well aware that a 1 gallon, unfiltered bowl is not the most glamorous or generally healthy of environments..... :/ So before I add more, I'm going to get the advice of you guys. :) everyone in this forum has already helped me so much.

Most reactions

Back