Snail Busters?

robert.sadler

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good community fish that would be suitable for my 24 and 28 gallon tanks that like to snack on snails as both tanks have become a bit overrun after adding more plants the other week!

I'd rather add fish than some kind of snail killing treatment

Cheers

Robert
 
I know that Puffers eat snails, but i wouldnt consider them community fish. I also think Clown Loaches do aswell. But they need to be in large groups and need a big tank. There is a tank safe soulution. Take a container, and put a little bit of zuchinni or something along those lines and check on it the next morning. It will be coverd in snails. Take it out and throw it away, do this until you dont get any more on it, then they should be gone. If you dont get them all, you greatly reduced their numbers.
 
It depends on the type of snail. If you are talking about Malaysian Trumpet or livebearing snails then there aren't many fish that will bother with them due to their hard shell. Ramshorn and ponds snails will be eaten by most botias (loaches). Botia sidthimunki & lohachata will take small ramshorn & pond snails and would be fine in your tanks.
 
I feed all my excess snails to my paradise fish, Jekyll. (I wouldnt recommend a paradise fish as a community fish, he bites my arm as I try to clean his tank and my fingers when i feed him. )

He knocks the snails off the glass and grabs their soft bit and shakes them around until they come out of the shell.
 
dwarf chain loaches are a good snail eater for smaller community tanks, likewise most gourami's will eat snails :good:
 
I don't have any snails because I run my new plants under tap water before putting them in my tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top