Small Sized Cichlids?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

comocrayfish5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i wasn't sure which cichlid forum to post this under so i am posting it here..

i have been wanting to get cichlids for a while now but i never knew which ones to get. right now i am really wanting to get rid of my giant danios who are killing all of my other small fish and replace them with some cichlids that i can feed my baby crayfish to. what cichlids grow up to be small? and will all cichlids eat crayfish babies?

Rams, apistogrammas, and kribensis are small cichlids. I don't know if they'll eat those or not.

For a 20 gallon, aspistos or kirbensis would work, not sure theyd eat the crayfish.

I know you are looking for cichlids, but if you do a species tank, I think dwarf puffers or figure eights would do well in a twenty gallon and would eat your crayfish babies.

Not sure about other types, but when I kept rams, they were super lazy. They didn't try to get any snails or shrimps or anything little in the tank. I don't think they would do what you are looking for.

You can try a single female convict cichlid a 20 is a bit small but they'll eat the crayfish. Puffers would work, maybe some catfish species too. If the crayfish babies are small enough most fish would try to eat them

Definitely not they need a 50 gallon minimum and are very aggressive.

I wouldn't go for any sort of assorted cichlid purchases. Cichlids are a huge family and each species has many specific requirements in terms of water conditions, habitat and diet. Better to pick out a specific species. Kribensis might also eat your crayfish and you can do a pair in a 20 gallon.

Assorted usually refers to a selection from lake malawi, usually the commoner types, but occasionally you can get caught out. As said, avoid in a tank that size.

Most cichlids will happily eat small crayfish, so long as they're small enough.

You can usually ask your petstore to order them, either a male, female, or pair.

I only have petsmart near me... I don't know if they would do it. I guess I will have to take a trip to the big fish store :)

Kribs are pretty common, I'd have thought Petsmart might keep them.

Some julies remain small dunno if they'll eat or just kill your baby crays though

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back