Small pond fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Rescuing the goldfish really got me into the idea of having a pond -- but I have to accept I don't have the space or financial resources for a big enough one for the Goldies and they will go to someone I've found with 80 Goldies in a large pond already --

However, I am fixed on the idea of a pond so will invest in a small one perhaps 4ft by 3ft and 2-3ft deep.

Please if you can give me suggestions on smaller fish which can survive winter outdoors in UK for a small pond -- I'd love that, whilst I continue my search.

So far I was only once told guppies can be outdoors but not during winter -- ideally I'd like to not move them around so maybe there are some hardy ones who can live outdoors and enter "torpor" (which I just read is actually what fish do rather than hibernate?)

If the water freezes solid you won't be able to keep any fish outdoors over winter.

If you put the pond in a frame and put insulation between the pond and frame it might keep it a bit warmer, unless it freezes, then it will stay colder.

White cloud mountain minnows, bitterlings and any small native species like sticklebacks should be ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back