Small Planted Community Ideas

dsch132

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I already have two established tanks and I am currently working on another betta/snail setup. However, I would eventually love an additional small-medium sized planted community to keep rummy nose tetras (I'm becoming a crazy fish lady). They are one of my favorite species but would instantly disappear if introduced to my large community (courtesy of the pictus cat shoal). It's a shame because I could keep a massive group in that tank.

This is my potential plan...
11 rummy nose tetras, 6 of some corydoras species (depending on what my LFS has at the time), 1 or 2 medium sized snails, and 2 dwarf gourami (m/f pair).

What tank dimensions do you think would be ideal for this stocking? I'm also not completely certain about the dwarf gourami pair. I've never worked with this species before and, though I was told they like living in pairs or small groups, I've also heard of aggression issues. Having raised angelfish and betta (not together), I know how severe this can be. If conflict occurred, I would be forced to re home or return one fish (which I really don't enjoy). They couldn't enter my large community as the inhabitants are either too active or too territorial for dwarf gourami to coexist with. Would it be safest to get just one or should they not be kept alone?

I would like to have some form of centerpiece species suited for a small-medium sized community aquarium. Does anyone have ideas besides dwarf gourami?

Thank you!

Last edited:
The minimum size I would recommend is 20gallon or 60l. The tetras and cories will work well with each other and dwarf grourmis. Dwarf gouramis are less aggressive than other gouramis. I kept them in the past in my community and now I keep blue gouramis. There shouldn't be any aggression between these fish, but it all comes down to the tank size.

Other center pice fish I would recommend
- a betta (maybe) depends on the temperament
- a pair (male and female) of dwarf cichlids (kribs,appistograma or rams) - I would go with kribs or appistogram because rams are a bit more challenging (especially if you are a new to dwarf cichlids)
- paradise fish (about 3 a male and two females)

I don't think I'd select another betta (that would make three) when the opportunity for something new presented itself.

I know a bit about dwarf cichlids and I might do some research on paradise fish. How about sparkling gourami? Would they still work in a similar setup?

I would go with honey gouramis rather than dwarf as they have health problems nowadays. They are also more peaceful than dwarfs (for gouramis)

Paradise fish prefer cooler water than rummy noses. And they are quite aggressive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back