Small Ammonia Spike, Need Some Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dan-CR4

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this here or in the plants section....

My tank has been running since Feb and finished its fishless cycle at the beginning of April. Since then my water stats have been ok, no ammonia spikes or anything.

I did have plants in my tank (no co2) but got a real bad case of BBA and ending up dumping the all of the plants and put it down to a learning curve, but I still got BBA on my Juwel stone effect background.

So I got some "Interpet Anti Hair Algae Treatment" it told me to remove the carbon from my filter which I did yesterday when my weekly waterchange was due, after the water change I added the right amount of the interpet stuff. Now today I did a water check on my tank and the Ammonia is 0.25ppm, could the interpet stuff I dosed of caused this?

The nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 10

I am at this moment doing another waterchange but not sure if I need to dose the interpet stuff again or just forget about that and try something else.

Really not sure what to do, I have no longer got plants in my tank as I want to clear this BBA before starting again, this time with a Fire Extinguisher Co2 system. My lights are on a timer for 8 hours a day.

anyhelp would really be appreciated.

I think the ammonia spike was probably caused by the removal of the carbon (if the carbon has been in the tank a while). I wouldn't recommend any sort of algae treatment, as you WILL get the algae back as you're not treating the cause of the algae. With BBA low amounts of C02/fluctuating C02 is one of the main issues. If the tank isn't planted, you'll need to manually remove what you can, and up the water changes for a fair while.

Jumping straight in with pressurised C02 isn't always the best option either, what size is the tank and what is the wattage on the bulbs?

thanks for the reply, my tank is a juwel vision 180 (180 litre) and the lights I got are

1x Juwel Day-Lite T8 25W 742mm
1x Juwel Colour-Lite T8 25W 742mm

ok then i will not resdose the tank with the algae treatment, will try and remove what I can on my next waterchange which I will do thursday.

Danny

the lighting is fine on the tank, you won't need pressurised C02 on the tank, you could get away with dosing some liquid carbon. Liquid carbon also act as an algaecide. So when you decide to re plant, start with liquid carbon and see how you get on.

BTW if you don't re-plant, up your water changes for a few weeks.

ok will increase the water changes. I will replant but not sure if to wait til new year as im hoping on a new tank if funds go ok. Should of asked here before buying any treatments :blush:

again thanks for the advice

Danny

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back