skimming the surface

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ob1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Advise needed

I have a rainbow which after an intensive tank clean is now skimming the surface things do not look good – he as been like this for over 24 hours.

I do not think he will make it – my biggest problem my hospital tanks currently has young fry.

What do you suggest I do?

Most urgent

Jason

Hi,

What did this intensive tank clean involve exactly?

Hi Jsa500

I spent a long time cleaning the gravel. Having two large plecos can create a large amount of waste. In total I spent 1 hour cleaning this included the glass and a 20% water change.

I all my other fish look fine apart from one of the pelco had a cloudy eye 10 hours after the clean. This has now gone after adding some metaflex.

I do a good clean and water change every week. Lately I must admit to rushing the clean, jumping from one end of the tank to the other - it is shame really because I do enjoy cleaning the tank – does anyone have a provide weekly cleaning schedule for a 100g tank?.

I did see a very slight raised in ammonia 0.1. Before the last clean - I have been testing the water weekly over the last couple of months due to a high level of phosphates in tap water 20mgl using rowlphos the phosphate in the tank has dropped to 0.25mgl

Oxygen is good over 5mgl and I have increase water flow to take into account the metaflex added in the last 24hrs

I do not think the fish will last the next 24hrs. I do own a large water bucket 26gallons, which I use for my water changes. And I do own a large Internal filter and heater.

I am trying to understand what is effecting the rainbow - I do think it is stress related - any thoughts

Cheers

Jason

Im by no means as qualified as you with fish keeping but when you say a water bucket do you mean an outside bucket collecting rain water?

The reason I ask is my dad when he first got a tank was using rainwater for the water changes thinking the water to be pure.

Unfortunatly the water was collected from the garage roof where the birds tend
to go to the toilet. The short of it is that the water was far from pure and he lost a lot of fish.

He no longer uses this method and everything is fine now.

Regards

Jon

Hi Blues N Twos

The water container is located in the garge - I use it to store TAP water. I have a pump which refills my main tank.

cya

Most reactions

Back