Skimmers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

drag

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i dont know much about skimmers other than how they work .im planning ahead for a 125 gal i want to get here in a month or 2 . right now im not running a skimmer on my 30 gallon. and i wanted some recomendations for the 125 gal skimmer . such a brand names, kinds, size?????? im clue less :blush:

i like my tunze even though ive only had it for 2 days.... Ive heard good things about euro-reef, deltec, bubblemaster, orca, aquaC (with an upgraded pump), ive heard terrible things about prisms and have heard mixed responses on the coralife ones.

Look up some of the tings that i have heard are good and see which one may fit you.

needle wheels seems like the best and most popular but aquaC came out with a relatively new type of skimmer (spray injection) which has been proveing itself, but you should upgrade the pump since water flow causes bubbles in the skimmer so common sense says more flow means more bubbles. You can say all types of skimmers are good since it matters what system you are using. I mean the current nano skimmer uses venturi injection but is terrible yet the tunze nano uses venturi also and is loved by nano reefers.

cool ill look in to tunze, and the otherones you mentioned

so what brand skimmers do other people use that you guys are happy with??????????

I do not try and economise on something as important as a skimmer, therefore, after reading that Deltec and Tunze are the best, I only look into their products.

The downside to these products is price, but I am prepared to bite the bullet now rather than lose stock later.

For 125 gallons the Tunze would be the 9010. Don't bother looking at the 9015 as it is identical to the 9010, just with a bigger collection cup.

I do not try and economise on something as important as a skimmer, therefore, after reading that Deltec and Tunze are the best, I only look into their products.

The downside to these products is price, but I am prepared to bite the bullet now rather than lose stock later.

For 125 gallons the Tunze would be the 9010. Don't bother looking at the 9015 as it is identical to the 9010, just with a bigger collection cup.

I agree with Andy (hmmm seem to be doing this alot recently :blink: ) dont skimp money on a skimmer I use a deltec and its a great piece of kit. :good:

i have heard of success stories of skimping money before though, mainly people who use those oddysea skimmers (ive seen some very dark skimmate) and orca can make near identical skimmers to deltec etc for cheaper as people have done. But lasting quality i wouldnt know. And i wouldnt recommend it either.

Anyway ive noticed my tunze skimmer is VERY quite..... All i hear are ocaisonal bubbled popping. I dont hear any air intake.

An FYI, the OP is from the States, wherein Deltec and most Tunze skimmers are prohibitively expensive :crazy:

Drag, if you're forced into running a hang on back (HOB) skimmer, go with an AquaC Remora. If you're going in-sump, there are many offerings from ASM/Euroreef (same skimmer designs and same corporate ownership), Reef Octopus, Larger in-sump AquaC Urchin, sometimes you can find a Tunze skimmer that doesn't require a second morgatge, and the Orcas.

If you buy any Seaclone, Jebo, or even the Prism skimmers, you might as well just have a bonfire with your money instead, you'd get more out of it ;)

i see alot of these (coralife) super skimmers in my lfs . what do you think of these super skimmers.????????????????????

i talked the the guy in the lfs who is a well reputed aquarist , and he said he was skeptical @ first of these super skimmers but turned out to be a good product.
http://www.fishsupply.com/sspco-33004.html

well i opted for the super skimmer from coralife the 33004 series good for 220 gallons. it set me back 180 bucks not bad at all if it works good. so far out of the box i hooked it up tem on my 30gal till i get my 125 gallon tank. and its working fine . i set it up as hang on back and have no problems w/ the diffuser . will report back after the 72 hour breakin period.

The in-sump 220g model is probably the best one they make. You should be very happy with it longterm

ok one quick question what is better dry skimming or wet skimming?
the intructions speak of both and illustrate them.

so do you guys wet or dry skim? :S

Wet skimming will remove more waste, but also removes more water and requires draining more-often. I dry skim cause I'm lazy :)

Wet skimming will remove more waste, but also removes more water and requires draining more-often. I dry skim cause I'm lazy :)

dido, i set mine up for dry skimming 2. well it seems the skimmer is working good so far im very pleased w/ it . this morning there was alot of green dry goo in the cup. and some that dried before it made it over the tube.

The in-sump 220g model is probably the best one they make. You should be very happy with it longterm

the coralife super skimmer has been working great :hyper: better than i expexted. i cant beleive how much gunk :sick: skimmes out of the water. id definetly recomend this model. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back