Single Cichlids Rather Than Pairs

I have read up on Threadfin Acara and can see that these are often agressive (especially to conspecifics)

Threadfins are only aggressive to conspecifics really in my experience. A singleton would be a great addition to any cichlid community IMO. They Can stick up for themselves but rarely start anything. Highly recommended ! Very confident fish generally too.

Davo's suggestion that things often end badly with them will, I suspect, always involve conspecific aggression.

But be aware that they do not thrive in hard, alkaline water.

Thanks for this, Hamfist. They did look absolutely gorgeous as juvies in the shop and I saw a couple of adults in videos on youtube and they looked even better. The hard alkaline water bit has put me off though.

Not to worry as I am very excited at the prospect of a group of tapajos geos in the tank. Just got to find some now. They are the one fish in my stocking plans that I am having trouble getting hold of. Anybody know anyone/anywhere selling?

Oddball express have some :good:

Thanks, that's good to know. They're a bit cheaper there than Trimar - still hoping to pick some up more locally, following a couple of leads at the moment.

Andy just noticed your in oxfordshire, are you familiar with a relatively new store called Coxwell Aquatics?

These used to be one of my regular LFS before they relocated late last year, When they were here they always had a good selection of Geos and were quite competitive on price so maybe worth a visit if you haven't been already,

Andy just noticed your in oxfordshire, are you familiar with a relatively new store called Coxwell Aquatics?

Yes, it the most local of my shops - about 10 mins drive :hey:

They are still on the old premises but the stock is already looking much more diverse. Just awaiting formal planning permission before moving to a massive new warehouse, should only be a couple of months max.

I remember the old place off the A41 past Wolverhampton, wasn't sure how hot they were on cichlids though.

I guess they may be able to order some in.

i have a breeding group of 12 rainbows bit squabbling now and then but nothing major .. but they have the awesome colours
good.gif

Sounds great, they do look like really nice fish. I wasn't too impressed with photos I saw online but saw some adults in a shop tank the other day and was very taken with them. Maybe I'll keep these another time, really keen on the geos/rotkeil mix now though.

I'm still on the lookout for geo tapajos.

If I can't get hold of any how would a group of steindachneri fare in the tank? I know size wise they would be ok but have also read that they are perhaps more aggressive than other geos. If I were to start with a group of 5-6 juvies and make sure I end up with just a male and 2/3/4 females would that be ok?

The other ones I like the look of are albios/altifrons. Am I right in thinking that they would get too big in the tank long term?

Iporangensis or pindare would be great too but they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poop.

I'm still on the lookout for geo tapajos.

If I can't get hold of any how would a group of steindachneri fare in the tank? I know size wise they would be ok but have also read that they are perhaps more aggressive than other geos. If I were to start with a group of 5-6 juvies and make sure I end up with just a male and 2/3/4 females would that be ok?

The other ones I like the look of are albios/altifrons. Am I right in thinking that they would get too big in the tank long term?

Iporangensis or pindare would be great too but they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poop.

With steinies, you would want to end up with one male and at least 2 or 3 females. The males are very tough on the females during spawning, and having a number of females spreads this out.

Abalios/Altifrons/surinamensis do get big, but they are slow growers and would take a long time to get there. They do also tend to be quite bickery and aggressive with each other in small numbers. It's better to keep either a bonded pair, or at least 5 in a shoal. In a smaller number, there tends to be the least dominant fish which tends to get seriously bullied.

Abalios/Altifrons/surinamensis do get big, but they are slow growers and would take a long time to get there. They do also tend to be quite bickery and aggressive with each other in small numbers. It's better to keep either a bonded pair, or at least 5 in a shoal. In a smaller number, there tends to be the least dominant fish which tends to get seriously bullied.

How long could I keep 5-6 in a tank this size for? If we're talking 2-3 years then I'd consider them instead of Tapajos if I can't source them. Chance of a house move in the future so I'm sure I could claim my territory for a bigger tank :shifty: could always pass them on if we stay put, or I may get lucky and end up with a bonded pair. If it's much less than 2 years then I guess Steinies would be a better alternative, as it's fairer on the fish too.

I have read that the suris can stunt quite easily if water changes aren't kept up with when they're young so I'd obviously be careful with this.

How long could I keep 5-6 in a tank this size for? If we're talking 2-3 years then I'd consider them instead of Tapajos if I can't source them. Chance of a house move in the future so I'm sure I could claim my territory for a bigger tank :shifty: could always pass them on if we stay put, or I may get lucky and end up with a bonded pair. If it's much less than 2 years then I guess Steinies would be a better alternative, as it's fairer on the fish too.

I have read that the suris can stunt quite easily if water changes aren't kept up with when they're young so I'd obviously be careful with this.

For the time-span you are looking at, I think the altifrons etc would be getting too big for the tank. Personally, I'd go for a single male steinie. Seriously, they are so active and full of character, and very happy on their own. Introducing females and getting a breeding group could be fun, if that's all the tank is about, but if you are having other fish in there too, as I seem to remember you are hoping, then it's probably going to end up in tears in the end as the aggression will probably just get too much for any co-inhabitants.

Well I've finally made my mind up for sure this time:

1 Rotkeil sev (courtesy of Star4)
6 Geophagus sp Tapajos (from a guy fairly local to me)
10-15 Columbian Tetras (may consider Bleeding Heart Tetras - I'll see how the mood takes me)
4 Pictus Catfish (my change my mind for Flagtail Catfish - they're in tanks next to each other at the LFS so I'll weigh it up)

The cycle is far from over so it will be a good while yet I think but that's what I'm going with. Thanks to everybody who has contributed to my stocking ideas (in 3 separate threads!) with such helpful responses.

Rest assured, there will be plenty of pictures to share on here as the fish get added.

Well I've finally made my mind up for sure this time:

1 Rotkeil sev (courtesy of Star4)
6 Geophagus sp Tapajos (from a guy fairly local to me)
10-15 Columbian Tetras (may consider Bleeding Heart Tetras - I'll see how the mood takes me)
4 Pictus Catfish (my change my mind for Flagtail Catfish - they're in tanks next to each other at the LFS so I'll weigh it up)

The cycle is far from over so it will be a good while yet I think but that's what I'm going with. Thanks to everybody who has contributed to my stocking ideas (in 3 separate threads!) with such helpful responses.

Rest assured, there will be plenty of pictures to share on here as the fish get added.

1 x sev, 6 x geos and 4 x pictus is a lorra lorra fish fighting for space at the bottom of a 275 litre tank.

I'd say 6 x Tapajos is pushing it already, so adding 4 x pictus is just squshing everybody together even further.

1 x rottie, 6 x tapajos and a few tetras would be more realistic. I'd go for more like a shoal of 6-8 of either of those larger tetras. I recently had a shoal of 10 x quite small bleeding hearts in my 300 litre, and they almost took it over. They were everywhere ! Actually quite annoyed the geophagus inhabitants of the tank. I cut the shoal down to five and it looks much more appropriate for the size of tank.

I'm quite happy to miss out on the catfish for this tank. As I increased the number of geos I forgot to subtract fish from the bottom of the tank!

The geos have really turned my head. I know it's a bit of a push but without the catfish in there I'm willing to give 6 geos a go. The guy I am getting them from says the males are 6" and the females are 4".

As far as the tetras go, it's difficult to know what to do. I want enough to create a decent shoal and stop any nipping but don't want too many that they take over the tank as you say. May try 10 and see how I go.

Sorry tried to pm you about collection of your Rottie, I cannot send pm's at the moment :sad:

Most reactions

Back