Simpsonichthys Constanciae- Featherfin Pearl Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

syd_the_rabbitsnail

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I went to the local aquatics store today and bought a pair of Simpsonichthys constanciae. I had never seen them before and wanted to make sure that they would be ok in my set up, so I asked the very knowledgeable staff and they assured me that they would be. I currently keep A single male dario dario,A shoal of gertrude's Blue eye rainbows 8 in total, a splended male killifish, and 4 lampeyes. also a good number of cherry shrimps. I was told that the featherfins are peaceful and perfect for the set up (they certainly looked peaceful in the shop's tank) I bought a pair (found out at home they are a killifish) They have gone into my quarantine tank which contains a community of cherry shrimp and the male is stalking the shrimps trying to eat them...Is this normal?! If so I can't add them to the tank i intended them to go in :/ as the dario dario is the same size if not smaller than the shrimp. Does anyone have any experience with these very beautiful fish? Is this normal behavior?! I was told they eat a variety of very small live food (not a problem i have several live food cultures on the go) can someone help? many thanks Eva :)

Simpsonichthys constanciae is a South American annual (type) Killifish
Quite an easy species to breed...but will need copious amounts of live food (can be coaxed to take frozen but in my experience they wont readily accept dry food)
Being peat divers they should be set up in a small tank with a jar of peat fibre temperature of around 74'F with slightly acidic water conditions, pH around 6.8
Not really a community fish as such but will survive given ideal conditions and food...The will last for just over 12 months.
I expect small fish and shrimp would come under scrutiny from hungry mouths.
If you need more in depth information just ask.
atb
C

right then, all shrimp have now been moved to the kitchens main tank. I will keep the small quarantine tank as the featherfins tank. I've never spawned any killis before so it should be interesting! stupid question, but where do i buy peat fibre from?! I've got 6 kiln jars of daphnia culture, copious amounts of grindle/black/micro and banana worm culture on the go too. Ive given them lots of daphnia to start with. Are they sensitive to too much protein like bloodworm can have? I don't tend to feed this much as my dario dario can't have alot. Sorry for all the Q's I just want to get it all right! cheers Eva :)

Hi Eva,I use jiffy peat pellets available at your garden centre or online such as ebay, just soak, remove the wrapping and boil...strain then place in a wide necked pot in the aquarium to a depth of around 50mm
as for foods you already know not to feed the same live food all of the time....mix things up a little and most of all observe your fish
atb
C

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back