Simple Yet Stupid Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RainboWBacoN420 said:
I'm just gonna say this, break down one of the 20 gallons if you're going to go with a 55 gallon. I have four tanks currently, a 5 gallon betta tank, a 10 gallon quarantine, a 15 gallon planted tank and a 55 gallon planted tank. At first I kept up on everything pretty nicely, never missed a water change, always checked the parameters, and after a few months it got tiring. It became more of a hassle than enjoyment. Don't get me wrong, I love my tanks, but I work two jobs and a needy girlfriend lol. It's often difficult to find time to push everything aside and work on each tank, meaning water changes, dosing ferts, cleaning the tank, removing algae, trimming, feeding the fish, checking parameters and so on. It takes a lot of work, that's why when my betta dies and I'm done getting new fish, I'm tearing down my 5, 10 and 15 gallon tanks to make room for a 20 gallon reef tank. In the end, I'll only have my 55 gallon and a reef tank to care for. 

However, as mentioned above, take care of those tanks first, you have ammonia and nitrite reading, even though they're tiny readings, your cycle isn't stable. You may think it's because a fish died, but honestly Baylor, I'm almost certain it's your cycle. If there is ammonia and nitrite, then it means your nitrosomonas and nitrobacter colonies aren't able to keep up with the bio-load. You've been dealing with this problem for a while, and your fish have been suffering under the conditions. 

If one day, you do decide to go with a 55 gallon tank, make sure the cycle is complete, after it's done cycling, just wait a month or two before adding any fish. Let the tank age a little bit. This is what I did when I set up my 55 gallon, and not once have I dealt with a dead or sick fish. 

Agree with this completely, initially I wanted another 40-60 gallon tank on top of my 80 gallon main tank, 17 gallon high tech (just started), and 20 gallon quarantine. But now, I am currently thinking instead of that, that I will rehome some of the fish in the 80 and make it into what I really want it to be!

so quick question, my filter had gone out on my cory tank, just bought a 8$ one off of ebay thats the same one im using and from the same guys( estimated delivery March 2nd-5Th) until i get it, what steps should i do with the tank as im using a 10Gal filter(old filter media squeezed into it), should i just do daily water changes until i get the new filter?

BaylorPerez said:
so quick question, my filter had gone out on my cory tank, just bought a 8$ one off of ebay thats the same one im using and from the same guys( estimated delivery March 2nd-5Th) until i get it, what steps should i do with the tank as im using a 10Gal filter(old filter media squeezed into it), should i just do daily water changes until i get the new filter?
Here's some things you can do, if you have an air stone and an air pump, utilize it. You could, and this might actually be really risky, but you can transfer the cories over to the other tank until your new filter arrives. Water changes are something you can do, but... the oxygen levels are going to deplete if the water is stagnate, luckily for you, cories typically go up for a gasp of air anyways. 

You have to wait about three or four days, the cories should be fine if you keep up on the water changes, but I would mostly say use the airstone and air pump if you have one, that's probably the best thing you could do in a situation like this.

i have an air stone and pump already in my cory tank(its just for my snails as i know they can take O2 from the tank top and from the tank water as well)

Keep that airstone running and do daily water changes. Maybe two a day? Doing water changes will keep the water oxygenated for the time being. Just keep an eye on everyone, make sure they're doing alright.

I wonder if adding a few drops per gallon per day of Prime would also be useful here, combined with water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Back