Sick Neon Tetras (with fuzzy growths)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Avery

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon community tank, with one betta, six neon tetras, and two albino Cory catfish. Iā€™ve had this tank for a little over a year, and do 25% water changes once a week. All the fish get along very well, and up until two months ago, have been very healthy.

About two months ago, I noticed a small, white fuzzy growth near the mouth of one of my neon tetras. It grew pretty large but suddenly disappeared overnight about three weeks later. It then grew back, and another one formed on a second neon tetra. As of now, they both have these large, white fuzzy growths on their lips and are beginning to show mild signs of fin rot. Their color is rather dull, and their balance is off (due to the added weight on their head), causing them to swim in these twitchy patterns. While their appetite has not diminished, they are starting to get skinny. Iā€™m guessing that they must have some trouble eating. They still swim with the rest of the school, and havenā€™t been getting bullied. None of the other fish seem affected.

I have been adding aquarium salt with almost every water change for the past month, in hopes that it would help them, but it doesnā€™t seem to have had an affect. At this point, Iā€™m not quite sure what to do, as I canā€™t seem to find a solution in any of my research, and I am worried that they are suffering.

I have a 10 gallon community tank, with one betta, six neon tetras, and two albino Cory catfish. Iā€™ve had this tank for a little over a year, and do 25% water changes once a week. All the fish get along very well, and up until two months ago, have been very healthy.

About two months ago, I noticed a small, white fuzzy growth near the mouth of one of my neon tetras. It grew pretty large but suddenly disappeared overnight about three weeks later. It then grew back, and another one formed on a second neon tetra. As of now, they both have these large, white fuzzy growths on their lips and are beginning to show mild signs of fin rot. Their color is rather dull, and their balance is off (due to the added weight on their head), causing them to swim in these twitchy patterns. While their appetite has not diminished, they are starting to get skinny. Iā€™m guessing that they must have some trouble eating. They still swim with the rest of the school, and havenā€™t been getting bullied. None of the other fish seem affected.

I have been adding aquarium salt with almost every water change for the past month, in hopes that it would help them, but it doesnā€™t seem to have had an affect. At this point, Iā€™m not quite sure what to do, as I canā€™t seem to find a solution in any of my research, and I am worried that they are suffering.
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

Iā€™m sorry to hear of your difficulties. Could you please provide us with your parameters?

And a short 20 second video or clear image of the fish.

Best of luck.

This is fungus. Try treating with API Fungus cure. This is caused by bad water parameters. How often do you do water changes? This affects the problem. While treating, follow the direction on package and don't do any more WCs than it instructs.

Most reactions

Back