Sick Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

cmhassinger

Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Iā€™ve noticed a white dot on my gourami the other day. He has been separated and I started treating with a Tetra all in one treatment. I donā€™t think itā€™s ick bec it looks different to me. I have had ick before in other tanks but not this one. No new fish have been added so canā€™t think of what it could be. Itā€™s just the one spot over the eye. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• F7E5B155-BA71-4CF6-978D-822DB3363A3B.jpeg
    F7E5B155-BA71-4CF6-978D-822DB3363A3B.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 60B6C392-BAC0-4E4E-90BC-4915D4FBB396.jpeg
    60B6C392-BAC0-4E4E-90BC-4915D4FBB396.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 42
it does look a little like ich
Ok ? I have had success with the all in one treatment on ick but Iā€™ll have to change the heater out in that tank with one that isnā€™t preset so I can raise the temp. For some reason it just looked bigger then a typical ick spot. But hopefully he can recover. Thank you.

It's either a lifted scale or a possible hexamita infection or the start of an ulcer.

The best treatment at this stage is cleaning the tank conditions up.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water. This is important if using salt or medications to treat the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back