What's new

Sick Betta

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Peacock

Reaction score
My mom got my daughter a betta for christmas. She got the gallon tank and everything we need. However, I started reading and we decided to upgrade the tank. We got a 10 gallon tank with live plants and a snail mate. We let the tank cycle 3-4 weeks before adding the betta. We then had a trumpet snail outbreak. I'm not exaggerating when I say I would vacuum up 25-50 snails every time I would clean the tank. Anyway, all this is what I think led to my fish getting sick. It started with what looked like white fuzz on his top fins. I immediately got him out of that tank and started treating him with salt water. His top fins got better and started growing back, but after 10 days, it started to look like the rest of him was getting worse. I finally decided to resort to maracyn two. He did a 5 day treatment and looks better, but there's still an area on his body that I wasn't sure about so I did treatment day 6 yesterday, but wanted some opinions on what I should do. I am very new to the fish scene and trying to do my best, so any help is much appreciated. Pictures are from today to try to show the area below his top fin.

Also, while he's recuperating in the gallon tank, I took all hardscapes out of his aquarium and vacuumed the water way down and tried to get rid of all the snails. I got a goldfish that eats snails as a hobby to help my tank while betta is gone. (don't worry, I'll find a good home for him when we're done.) My hope is the big tank will be a better environment for him when he gets back.
Peacock 3.jpg
Peacock 2.jpg

Attachments

• Peacock 1.jpg
    Peacock 1.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 13
I'm not sure before because I was just using test strips to test and they always showed in the "OK" color. He's now in a hospital gallon tank with treated tap water. I bought an API freshwater master test kit this week and tested the other tank yesterday. Ammonia in it showed in the 0ppm range and same with Nitrite and nitrate. However, my water pH tested really high at around 8. I bought some pH down from API that should get here tomorrow. Can he recover? He still eats fine. Do I need to change the antibiotic?

ok, just make sure you do around 10% water changes daily. continue the use of the antibiotic for the recommended time. I would purchase a small monpani wood or some chapatta leaves(I like the driftwood better.) it will release tannis and make your water a tea color which IMO it helps the healing process.

Ok, I have some of the leaves so I'll throw one in there. Also, the maracyn two says to not do water changes during the five day dose. Should I do 10% anyway? The first five days I did none, then on 6th day I did a big water change and then redosed for the start of round two of the antibiotics because the water was really cloudy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back