Sick Betta!

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
1,773
Reaction score
171
Points
63
Lapis is sick, but has no symptoms other than lethargy. No new additions to her tank other than some cabomba, but that was after I noticed her sluggishness.
 
Apparently for few hours yesterday while I was gone her air pump (on her sponge filter) gave out, but my parents exchanged it for a new one. This one was stronger, and she struggled against it, so whenever I got back I turned the pressure down a bit. The cabomba was put in to give her some shade and resting places. So all day today she's been lethargic, and I just found her a minute ago listing to the side a bit on a floating plant.
 
No physical signs except light stress stripes, good appetite, and the water stats are perfect. Temp is perfect, 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm going to do a WC just in case something was spilled into her tank. I don't know how old she is, but I suspected she's young because of her bright colours and small size.
 
Any ideas?
 
Oop! I messed up, could a mod by any chance move this is Tropical Discussion? I don't really think it's an emergency.
 
Hmmm perhaps she is stressed a bit by the power of the new pump she doesn't sound too ill to me 
smile.png
do you have a pic of her.
 
Sorry, I've been off on another road trip. She's doing better, I think that was it. I don't have a pic at the moment, I could try to grab one if you'd like.
 
So ignore this thread :lol: Not meant to be an emergency.
 
Her lethargy is getting severe, still no other symptoms. I can't really do anything, the water is perfect, and I can't make a exact diagnosis with just lethargy!
 
I wonder if it is related to Hexamita.
 
 
Hexamita
    Symptoms: The first symptom of slimy, white mucous feces, even while still eating and acting normal. Further signs are the fish hiding in the corner with it's head down, the head above the eyes gets thin, they blacken in color, and swim backwards.
 
     Hexamita are intestinal flagellated protozoa that attack the lower intestine. Discus and other large cichlids, especially Oscars, are especially prone to Hexamita. Saltwater fish are affected on rare occasions as well As it is a disease of the digestive tract, a wasting away or loss of appetite may be experienced.
 
     An effective treatment is the drug metronidazole. Metronidazole is an antibiotic for anaerobic bacteria with anti-protozoal properties. This drug is reef safe, and medications are either added to the water or mixed with the fish food. Metronidazole works by ceasing the growth of bacteria and protozoa. Metronidazole is an antibiotic for anaerobic bacteria with anti-protozoal properties, and this drug is reef safe. Some available products that contain metronidazole include Seachem Metronidazole, Seachem AquaZole, Thomas Laboratories' Fish Zole and National Fish Pharmaceutical's Metro-Pro.

   A combined treatment in the food (1% in any food the fish will eat) and in the water (12 mg per liter) is recommended. Repeat the water treatment every other day for three treatments. And effective treatment is with Seachem's Metronidazole.
 
     (This disease is often confused with another disease called Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE), which use to be called "hole-in-the-head" disease, because both these diseases are often seen simultaneously in the same fish. Head and Lateral Line Erosion disease looks like cavities or pits on the head and face. This is not a protozoan disease, but is actually caused by environmental conditions.).
 
Her head is pitch black, I thought that was just her colouration changing..I've never been able to catch her pooping, and I'm not sure what it means by "head above the eyes becomes thinner". She rests with her head up, tail hanging down.
She's laying on her side now, I think she's not going to make it. She's a bit thin too, which was always one of her traits. I guess I looked it over.

IMG_1014_zpssjtouawe.jpg

 
That's all I can get at the moment. I don't have any access to medication at the moment, but I think it may be too late.
 
EDIT: Looking at older pictures, her coloration has always been dark, and she's no thinner than she usually is. I don't think it's Hexamita.
 
Sorry to hear that Lyra.
 
Sorry I could not be of more help. I hate losing any fish so you have my sympathies.
 
Oh Lyra, I just saw this. I'm so sorry about your fish. :( You tried so hard to keep her healthy! 
 

Most reactions

Back
Top