Sick Betta

ShawnMCC

Reaction score
Our Betta has recently ceased moving a whole lot (he pretty much just rests on the bottom of his tank breathing) and is starting to turn all white. He's also not eating.

Could this be Ick or something worse?

is his color just changing or is it like white slime? ich is little white spots that look like grains of salt.

is it his skin or is it a cotton-like film. If thats what it is, its most likely velvet and you can treat it with a simple anti-parasite medication like coppersafe.

it isnt white spot i sometimes get this with my betta but they are on the road to pop their cloggs becasue it a sayla infection it caused by stress and not enough filtration their isnt much you can do about it

schzaam said:
it isnt white spot i sometimes get this with my betta but they are on the road to pop their cloggs becasue it a sayla infection it caused by stress and not enough filtration their isnt much you can do about it
So he's basically on his way out?

To answer the other questions, it's like he's actually changing color to a lighter shade. No film or anything.

you know, i think i know what your saying, is it like your betta is turning a pale-ish color and looking listless?

my betta did the samething on me, i freaked out becuase i didn't find film on him or nething, he was just turning a pale color (he's a dark blue so it was even more scary).

anyways, i found out that it was the tempreature problem, the temp was really low, so you might wnat to try and turn it up a little...like high 70sF, or what i did was i held a mirror up to my betta and made him flare to see if the color came back :D and it did, so i figure he was just resting/relaxing/cold.

Definitly try heating up the tank a little, does he have a heater in his tank?

cutecotton said:
you know, i think i know what your saying, is it like your betta is turning a pale-ish color and looking listless?

my betta did the samething on me, i freaked out becuase i didn't find film on him or nething, he was just turning a pale color (he's a dark blue so it was even more scary).

anyways, i found out that it was the tempreature problem, the temp was really low, so you might wnat to try and turn it up a little...like high 70sF, or what i did was i held a mirror up to my betta and made him flare to see if the color came back :D and it did, so i figure he was just resting/relaxing/cold.

Definitly try heating up the tank a little, does he have a heater in his tank?
Well, he's definitely getting paler and just sits on the bottom of the tank. He has no heating as it's just a small gallon tank with a filter. When we moved him from his bowl to this he was active for about a day but then he went back to just sitting on the bottom. We just moved his tank to the warmest room in the house and he tried moving but it was almost like his fins wouldn't work. Perhaps he IS sick and not just cold.

hmmmm :/ that is weird...do you have a thermoeter for you to check the temperature of hte water? even if you move htem to the warmest room in your house it might not be warm enough. they need around 75-78F to be happy i think.

Have you tried using stresscoat or something like that to see if he gets better? Even if he is sick u'll have to raise the tempreature up a little to help him heal.

put him in some bettamax. it solves just about every betta problem. often when they are stressed (and therefore are more susceptible to illness) they turn pale. i had some bettas shipped to me and one female turned really pale and stayed that way for about a week. but do put him in the bettamax-youd be surprised at the results :nod:

Most reactions

Back