Sick beta ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Crunchycrouton

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Now, Iā€™ve been keeping betta for years.. no betta bowls, just planted tanks above 5 gallons. My female betta that Iā€™ve had for around 2 years (bought her at a year old, so sheā€™s 3) has been lethargic, I still get her to eat but itā€™s on her own time, not when I first drop it in. She was in my community 29 gallon with peaceful fish and when I started to notice she got slower. I removed her and put her in a smaller tank where I can monitor her and feed her food individually just incase she wasnā€™t getting enough food. 3 days have passed and sheā€™s still the same. Sits at the bottom most the time, I now have to feed her sinking food since she never comes up. There is no physical signs of stress, or sickness. No color loss or anything. Anyone have ideas ?

maybe she is getting old...? but my betta lived 5 years in like a 2.5 gallon when i was a kid, actually he was at the bottom most of the time, and his colors did not fade. maybe oldness symptom

maybe she is getting old...? but my betta lived 5 years in like a 2.5 gallon when i was a kid, actually he was at the bottom most of the time, and his colors did not fade. maybe oldness symptom
Yeah- that's what I was thinking too... i got her from a chain pet store, which is where a lot of mass fish breeding comes from, so that may be the reason two years could be taken from her.

I'm very sorry about your betta fish. Would you mind attaching some pictures? Bettas often slow down a lot later in life, especially ones that come from mass breeding. I've had some experience with bettas and they are unfortunately breed to not last to long. However, the betta slowing down isn't always a bad thing, they can still live for a long time after they start to slow down. It sounds like you have given this betta a wonderful life. I am of course not an expert when it comes to fishkeeping but any pictures, or other info about the tank (Ammonia levels, nitrite/nitrate levels, ph, temp etc.) might help to find an underlying problem. I am so sorry again and wish you the best. These things are hard, even harder for fish you have a big connection to, but it looks like you've done well.

I agree, itā€™s probably age. Two years is pretty average for a store bought betta. If heā€™s 3, youā€™re doing great. Let him live out his life nice and slow. :)

I'm very sorry about your betta fish. Would you mind attaching some pictures? Bettas often slow down a lot later in life, especially ones that come from mass breeding. I've had some experience with bettas and they are unfortunately breed to not last to long. However, the betta slowing down isn't always a bad thing, they can still live for a long time after they start to slow down. It sounds like you have given this betta a wonderful life. I am of course not an expert when it comes to fishkeeping but any pictures, or other info about the tank (Ammonia levels, nitrite/nitrate levels, ph, temp etc.) might help to find an underlying problem. I am so sorry again and wish you the best. These things are hard, even harder for fish you have a big connection to, but it looks like you've done well.
yes, please give your fish the best life he couldve ever had

Thank you, the water peramiters are good. Sheā€™s in a hospital tank right now until I figured out whatā€™s wrong with her, now since i figure itā€™s old age, Iā€™ll be moving her to a smaller planted tank so I can actually feed her.. donā€™t worry about her pale appearance, sheā€™s always had that coloration. The red blood worm looking things are just food I put in today..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 35
i think there is some fin fraying, what is the tank like? also is that a female or male?

Thank you, the water peramiters are good. Sheā€™s in a hospital tank right now until I figured out whatā€™s wrong with her, now since i figure itā€™s old age, Iā€™ll be moving her to a smaller planted tank so I can actually feed her.. donā€™t worry about her pale appearance, sheā€™s always had that coloration. The red blood worm looking things are just food I put in today..
That's a beautiful fish! I love crown tails so much. If you do plan to move her to another tank, be sure that there are no other fish in it, or if there are, very calm, peaceful ones (Don't want them to bully her). Sorry I can't define a cause for this outside of age, that is likely the problem though. I do have one question, have you been able to feed her alone, to see if she eats yet? If she still does have an apatite, though its not a guarantee of her being perfect, its a good sign there isn't something else going on. If she isn't eating, I recommend getting a tweezer that is clean (like one that you might already use for aqua scaping) and try feeding her by hand, as it might prove difficult for her to get it herself, just be careful to take it slow, to not stress her out.

That's a beautiful fish! I love crown tails so much. If you do plan to move her to another tank, be sure that there are no other fish in it, or if there are, very calm, peaceful ones (Don't want them to bully her). Sorry I can't define a cause for this outside of age, that is likely the problem though. I do have one question, have you been able to feed her alone, to see if she eats yet? If she still does have an apatite, though its not a guarantee of her being perfect, its a good sign there isn't something else going on. If she isn't eating, I recommend getting a tweezer that is clean (like one that you might already use for aqua scaping) and try feeding her by hand, as it might prove difficult for her to get it herself, just be careful to take it slow, to not stress her out.
I love crown tails too, and yes, i've seen her eat yesterday, although she has not eaten today yet.. shes still using the bathroom which is good lol

What color is the stool? If you know, has it gotten more stingy or changed colors recently? It's a good sign that she is eating!

good thing she is healthy. is she in the main tank or a container?

good thing she is healthy. is she in the main tank or a container?
Sheā€™s in a 1 gallon container at the moment, I took her out of the main tank for a couple days when I noticed something was wrong. I put her in the container to make sure she kept eating... Iā€™ll be moving her to a 6.8 gallon planted tank to live the rest of her life in, so thereā€™s no competition for food from the other fish in the main community tank. Sheā€™ll live alone with a mystery snail in the 6.8.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back