siamese fighting fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

djbcrazy

Reaction score
Hello,

My partner and I have been keeping fish for many years. And our passion now for some 2-3 years has been these glorious siamese fighting fish.
We would like to breed them.
We do not at present have any females, only 11 males.
Where should we start? and any help/advice would be a major help.

Thank you for reading

DJ

Try PMing a mod and get them to move this to the Betta section. You will get lots of advice there.

thank you for help but what is a mod?
Sorry must have been having a blonde moment.
I guess you mean a moderator.
I shall go and ask in the other forum. Thank you

None are online at the moment, try WuvMyBetta (moderator of the betta section) or CFC (he seems to keep popping up tonight). Be warned, spawns can reach the 500 region, although lower numbers are more common you must consider the room requirements of 50 or so more males that need to be individually housed, the maintenence of 75% water changes every day and the large cost of... well, everything. There is a pinned topic in the FAQ section, also do a Google search :)

To breed bettas:

You'll need a harem of atleast five NICE female bettas. Bettas are very picky maters.
Take your nicest male and nicest female. Put them in bowls- or ideally in an aquarium with a clear divider of some sort so they can see eachother clearly. Its very clear if they are both interested. The male and female should both have some kind of floating plant such as hornwort or anacharis, and the male should already have a bubblenest in his bowl or enclosure as he will need this for the eggs (you probably know that)

If they are interested in eachother, usually indicated by the fish turning sideways to eachother and flailing their bodies, add the female to the male's bowl very gently and slowly, so as not to disturb the fish, and WATCH. It can get ugly. Domestic disputes with bettas are often fatal. Be ready to be on an episode of "COPS".

Ideally, they will mate. The male and female will wrap around eachother in what looks like impossible contortions. The male will collect eggs as they come out of the female, put them in the bubble nest and begin to guard them. once they're done, remove the female. Leave the male to maintain the bubble nest until the babies hatch (Again, have to keep an eye on this. you CAN remove the male now. the eggs will still hatch. Its up to you). Male bettas will eat baby bettas.

Now eggs are susceptible to fungus. So you'll want to put a small quantity of fungicide in there with the eggs. You really want to grow the babies in a tank, not bowls. Food wise, you can feed BBS but this is annoying. I've found Hikari's baby food just as good, honestly. Try to keep the babies, and infact all your bettas contrary to popular lore, between 78 and 80 ferenheit.

Djbcrazy did you get my pm? Because I sent you one yesterday. Let me know as soon as possible.

Most reactions

trending

Back