June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Elephant nose 4

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi looking for advice
Is this a true siamese algae eater? Or flying fox?
Looking for a siamese algae eater.
Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211_144006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211_144006_Chrome.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 21
It’s an SAE. The FF has black in the fins, among other differences. SAEs should really be kept in a group, though.

Can I keep 3? Getting different answers while I've been reading about them.

Can I keep 3? Getting different answers while I've been reading about them.
A group of five or six is pushing it and not really adequate, but definitely not one, two, three or four. They get large, 5 inches/12cm. When not maintained in groups they are being maintained contrary to their inherent nature and this usually means eventual problems.

Are you thinking of this fish for algae control? Or do you want a group of them? They need at minimum a 4-foot tank, but as they mature this is pushing things.

I always thought you could keep 1 or small groups, it's for a 75 gallon tank if they are not suitable I won't buy them. Not for algae I buy my fish because I like them. Thank you for your help.

I have 1 SAE in my 30 gal tank and I’ve got 1 SAE in my 38 gal tank. Both seem to be doing fine. Originally I did have 3 of them together in my 38 gal but one died. The LFS sold them as a trio. I’ve had them now for a few years. Whether you can keep 3 or not would probably depend on your tank size, other fish, etc.

You could keep 3 or 1 of any shoaling or schooling fish, but you won’t see natural behaviour from it, and you often get displacement behaviour such as aggression, or stress. In nature they live in small loose groups, so I would suggest at least 6, which would mean a much bigger tank than they’re generally kept in.
When you read that a fish can be kept singly or in a group, it usually means they should be kept in a group, but if you just keep one it won’t die.

Agree. A species that is programmed to live in shoals/schools has this expectation in its genetic makeup. We now know without doubt that such fish have increased stress leading to increased aggression (sometimes the exact opposite, the fish just weakens and wastes away) and there aree other impacts. This is frankly being cruel to the fish. Always research a species and be prepared to provide what it expects if you want healthy fish.

they are good algae eaters.

Last edited by a moderator:
SAE get big so if you don't have something large enough for them to be swimming in comfortably then I would not get them. My adult SAE is easily over 4" now.

If you're looking for something to clear algae get nerite snails or Otto's. Yes my SAE eat algae, but they also eat everything else. I did not get them to be algae eaters I got them because they are very fun, active fish. Very few fish that eat algae will only eat algae, or will eat algae when you have algae. The issue is that they aren't true herbivores, they are omnivores. So if you have a plate with broccoli, steak and potatoes what are you going to eat...my first choice is the steak and potatoes not the broccoli.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back