Shrimp Suitable For My Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nortonmad213

Fishaholic
Reaction score
so quite simply i was wondering if any sort of shrimp would be suitably for my tank.
tank is 170l
stocking is
3gbr
7 dwarf chain loaches
6 hengelli rasboras
10 neon tetras
1 sucker loach
tank is planted as you can hopefully see
just wondered if there would be any suitable and if they would stand a chance of surviving?
thanks in advance
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:72546]

this is my tank from a while back will post more recent tonight

You should be OK with Amanos or Bamboos, they would be large enough to be ok.

I would worry that the loach and the rams would see anything smaller as dinner.

would the plants help survival rates?
rams seem to be too busy doing the deed atm if you catch my drift.
i will take into consideration thanks a lot

Plants would help, any kind of hiding place would help. If you are looking at cherries or crystals, then a decent amount of something fine-leaved, like Java Moss will allow the shrimp sanctuary, as they can squeeze into it where fish can't.

If a fish sees something that will fit into its mouth, it will put it into its mouth, whether or not it is interested in its partner or not.

I have rams, kribs, and an assortment of loaches in my tank and I have indian whisker shrimp, works out just fine

indian whiskers? are they readily available in the uk?
all plants have bedded in a lot since that photo has been taken

I don't know if they are available  in your area or not... they are in the long arm family, but they are like the smallest kind and will not grow into a terror shrimp! They are great at taking care of fish that have passed as well... which may not be ideal if you need to bring it back for a refund however.  But great cleaners.

ok i will look into it
thats good
hope someone from my area will know more :)
i have no plans on getting more fish so refunds aren't a worry lol
be nice to think i could have them

Hope you can get some! they're like super ghost shrimp, mine are maxed at like...an inch, inch and a half.  I like them because they're a little more... sturdy. I got five for my tank, I know I have four still, I need to do a head check but I got so many hiding places it's hard to tell. I've had them a good long while.  While a regular ghost shrimp is like between 15 and 30 cents depending on where you go an indian whisker is about... a dollar a piece. Worth it in my opinion.  I just think a tank isn't complete without a shrimp of some kind in there.  =)

hope so i'll have to look on saturday when i can next get to lfs
hopefully i'll be lucky and if they arent there they may order in :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back