Shrimp Pregnancy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LiamGoodaire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Keep an eye the crays do not try to eat him, reed fish are beautiful, they prefer to hang in groups, but i would see how you get along with this guy first with the chosen tank mates, thanks for sharing
the crays should be no problem... they are quite passive as long as they are well fed. i plan on getting some more ropes soon :D
How long does it take for crystal red to lay the eggs? And how long does it take for the eggs to hatch? Can't find much info anywhere so thought id ask

Cheers goodaire

Just managed to catch a quick pic, not the best. Was just wondering if anybody could tell me how far she was because I bought her this way

IMAG0102.jpg

Cheers goodaire

Just managed to catch a quick pic, not the best. Was just wondering if anybody could tell me how far she was because I bought her this way

IMAG0102.jpg

Cheers goodaire
lucky you they dont drop the eggs they stay where they are atm and they will hatch in 30days of them being there

IMAG0102.jpg

Cheers goodaire

They won't lay eggs. They will give birth to live shrimplets. The eggs will get bigger and will change colour and then she will release the babies. The shrimplets are fully formed like the adults but are very tiny. It will take about 4 weeks after the time the eggs move from her saddle to her abdomen.

Have fun with your shrimplets!

Had a look this morning to see one of the shrimp is no longer pregnant yet no sign of any babies? What's happened where are they?

Check your filter. They might also just be hiding in the plants.

Believe me they can't get in the filter and there's only a few moss balls, can't see them anywhere :(

Who else lives in the tank? Dwarf shrimp can become an easy meal for certain fish. You seem pretty sure they can't get into your filter. Is this because you don't have a power filter? I have a fry sponge over my intake and the shrimplets made it past and ended up in the filter. So if they're not in the filter and you don't have fish to eat them, then they will be in the tank hiding somewhere and you should start to see them soon.

No no filter on this separate tank, just doing frequent water changes, it has an air pump to provide agitated water surface for gaseous exchange, so as you said they should be there bit for the life of me I can't find them, what food will the take aswell as feeding from the moss?

No no filter on this separate tank, just doing frequent water changes, it has an air pump to provide agitated water surface for gaseous exchange, so as you said they should be there bit for the life of me I can't find them, what food will the take aswell as feeding from the moss?

You can crush up some shrimp food and spirulina really fine (I use a mortar and pestle) but make sure it's not much, they don't need much. In all honesty, if this is an established tank, you don't need to feed them more than 3 times per week. Be careful with the water changes that you aren't siphoning any babies out by accident. A note on the food, make sure it doesn't have copper in it. There is a bit of a debate on whether or not it's harmful but I don't like taking chances personally. The shrimp are really tiny and can be difficult to spot. One thing I thought of is there may also be the chance that your pregnant shrimp dropped the eggs before they could turn into babies. This is common when shrimp are under stress. Hopefully that's not the case with your shrimp!

Fingers crossed, I will check again in the morning, haven't siphoned any out either had a pair of tights over the siphon Haha! Hope they ok! I can't imagine it being stress as the other 2 are fine and still pregnant

Wow that is so exciting for you! We have found with ours (CRS) they go from dark colored eggs to a lighter color then a few at a time hatch and come off the mom. It took a few days befor we saw the first couple, and mind you they were only about 2 mm long. Until they get bigger and feel more comfortable in the tank they will hide! Look for them at night with a flashlight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back