Shrimp & Medication

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've got to treat my main tank for internal parasites. I'll have to remove my Amano shrimp as the meds will kill them (it says so on the bottle).
I've got a second smaller tank I can put the little guys in, but I'm wondering: how long should I leave it until I can pop the shrimp back? I don't want to lose any, I've had them for at least 18 months.
Cheers in advance :)

Depending on what compound in the medicine will kill the shrimp determines your next course of action.

After treatment of the fish you could do some larger water changes, and if your not using charcoal in your filter than run charcoal for a couple of weeks to try and sop up any residual medication still in the tank.

If possible I would leave the shrimp in the main tank they are currently in and treat the fish in a different tank that way its really reducing the minute amounts of medication that may be either inside the fish or on their scales before going back to their normal home with the shrimp.

Depending on what compound in the medicine will kill the shrimp determines your next course of action.

After treatment of the fish you could do some larger water changes, and if your not using charcoal in your filter than run charcoal for a couple of weeks to try and sop up any residual medication still in the tank.

If possible I would leave the shrimp in the main tank they are currently in and treat the fish in a different tank that way its really reducing the minute amounts of medication that may be either inside the fish or on their scales before going back to their normal home with the shrimp.
I'm afraid I can't move all the fish, too many fish in main tank, they just wouldn't all go into either my 2nd tank or my quarantine tank (10 & 15 imperial gallons). It's the shrimp that have to move. I'm happy for them to live in the 10 gal in my son's room, but I'd miss them!
Maybe I'll move them & treat myself to some new shrimp for my tank again in a few months.
Thanks for the help though :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back