Shrimp Id

bobross

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 31, 2007
Messages
327
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
North Dakota (where's that?)
Hello all,

Here's a pic of one of the two shrimp I have with my dwarf puffers. This is my pregnant female (crap pic I know) It was sold to me as a "Japanese algae shrimp." Well, after quite a few hours of searching invert species websites, Im having no luck finding a match for what this thing is. Please help me ID this so I have some sort of idea. Again, Sorry about the crap picture, my cell phone is junk.


pregnanshrimp.jpg



If you have any questions about details, please ask away. In this picture, she is kind of pregnant, and i would like to know what kind she is to see if the eggs can successfully hatch in freshwater.


Thanks in advance folks,


BobRoss
 
Japanese algae eating shrimp are also known as amano shrimp. This for sure is not an amano shrimp. From the picture, it kinda looks like a ghost shrimp, if you get a better pic it would probably be easier to ID it. That looks like a ghost shrimp to me, but hopefully it isnt. :blink:
 
Japanese algae eating shrimp are also known as amano shrimp. This for sure is not an amano shrimp. From the picture, it kinda looks like a ghost shrimp, if you get a better pic it would probably be easier to ID it. That looks like a ghost shrimp to me, but hopefully it isnt. :blink:


agree - Amano shrimp have square/rectangle dots down their sides and lines down their backs (if im remembering correctly). So not one of those.

Do ghost shrimp have that angle on their backs? never noticed before.
 
Japanese algae eating shrimp are also known as amano shrimp. This for sure is not an amano shrimp. From the picture, it kinda looks like a ghost shrimp, if you get a better pic it would probably be easier to ID it. That looks like a ghost shrimp to me, but hopefully it isnt. :blink:


agree - Amano shrimp have square/rectangle dots down their sides and lines down their backs (if im remembering correctly). So not one of those.

Do ghost shrimp have that angle on their backs? never noticed before.

Yeah, im pretty sure they do. I hope that didnt cost more than a quarter dude, cause that really looks like a ghost shrimp to me in that picture. The only thing that makes me think it might be something else is those 2 red lines on its body.
 
Alright. Thanks for everyone's replies so far. Keep in mind that this picture isn't zooming in on the shrimp. I basically held my phone up to the glass and took its picture, so the picture is almost spot on for size comparison.


Well, Im pretty sure that this is not a ghost shrimp.

These two shrimp that I have are about two inches long(5cm). This picture, again, is actually pretty close to its actual size. It has some brownish red stripes on its sides like a tiger shrimp but it sort of resembles a rainbow shrimp. What makes me think its not a rainbow shrimp is the female's abdomen is full of eggs, like 50 or 60 eggs maybe. I've read thatn rainbow shrimp only put out 10 or 20 eggs. This female has way more than that in her belly.

I know its not an amano because it doesn't have the white stripe down its back or the spots on its sides. Plus, when I bought these, they were in a tank of amanos and these things are huge compared to an amano. Okay, not huge, but about 3 times their size.

You can sort of notice the 'antennae' on the shrimp. If it matters, those antennae are about 2 or 3 inches long as well.

Whatever this shrimp is, its sort of agressive. I say that because when Im feeding my puffers, the shrimp will actually fight to get to my syringe that i feed worms from. Man , this is really stumping me. I know its not an amano shrimp. Im really looking for some sort of answer, so please help.


Thanks again everyone,

BobRoss

I have a video of my tank on my phone. I just need to convert it from 3g2 to avi or mpeg format and i can try to load it up here.
 
here is a video. Granted its a 15 second clip and the quality is junk. You can still sort of make out the shrimp in question. I couldn't get the video converted so I just uploaded into photobucket. Hopefully this video can solve the problem.







This whole issue I'm having with identifying this shrimp is a good example of what happens at LFS. They label the shrimp (or fish) whatever they want and expect the customer to buy it because it sounds neat. Then I get home and can't find a single thing relating to the name I purchased it under.

Again, thanks for everyones comments so far,

You people rock at fishforums!!


BobRoss
 

Most reactions

Back
Top