Shrimp food

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I'm looking for a better quality shrimps food, that is better than Hikari shrimp food.

Most of the food in reviews are US based, but Dennerle crops up as a European good quality brand. But which one? Shrimp King Complete or one of the others in the range?
I have red cherry shrimps (Neocaridina davidi).

Reviews also mention GlasGarten shrimp food. Is this a good food or is Dennerle better?

Any recommendations please?

Normal fish food is fine for shrimp. They are omnivorous scavengers and will eat anything from plant matter, algae, to dead fish and even dead shrimp.

I'm looking for a better quality shrimps food, that is better than Hikari shrimp food.

Most of the food in reviews are US based, but Dennerle crops up as a European good quality brand. But which one? Shrimp King Complete or one of the others in the range?
I have red cherry shrimps (Neocaridina davidi).

Reviews also mention GlasGarten shrimp food. Is this a good food or is Dennerle better?

Any recommendations please?
To me, Dennerle© King Shrimp range https://dennerle.com/en/products/nano-aquaristic/feeding-minerals-vitamins/premium-shrimp-food
Mine craved YummyGum, ArtemiaPops, and Complete. And of course homemade lollies ;)

Sometimes I gave mine blanched zucchini and homemade lollies : they were performing backward somersault 😂
lollies as in lollipop?
shrimp lollipops sound cool lol

Thank you. I need to buy some more food soon, so I'll look for Dennerle King Shrimp complete.

lollies as in lollipop?
shrimp lollipops sound cool lol
LOL !
Shrimp lollies are wooden sticks/skewers covered with egg white and spirulina powder or nettle powder for example. I have lots of recipes.

I had tried almost all the best & expensive types of shrimps food but I find that they still prefer the cheaper Hikari even though they are not that good or nutritious.

I have two which I think are the best Dennerle Shrimp King complete and Glasgarten Shrimp Dinner pads. But the shrimps don't seem to be interested....LOL

Here is a list shrimp foods that were tested by someone. You can see the test results here.

Below here is a link of most of the shrimp food. This is for your quick reference on the food information, ingredients and prices(in SGD) as this shop is not in the UK.
There are about 60 types of shrimp food listed here.

I think most important in selecting shrimp foods is ensure that you have all the different nutrients from different food and brands.

For more details information about the nutrients require by shrimps, you may want to search the manufacturer websites.

I also like smaller or fine shrimp food (size: 0.1-0.8mm) that can be given to all the shrimplets or smaller shrimps that can't compete with the bigger shrimps.
For this, I bought the cheaper Dennerle Crustagran Baby.

I also have some shrimp supplements/ foods that are specially high in Calcium for proper molting.
If I remember correctly, Kale, Mulberry leaves are also high in Calcium.

Once in a while, I will also feed them with fish food that is higher in Protein. This is probably for females that are carrying babies.(if I remember correctly).

Lastly, don't forget to get Beta-glucans for immunity of the shrimps.
Glasgarten shrimp fit has Beta-glucans but I bought another Taiwanese brand that is available at a LFS nearer to my house.

Attachments

• IMG_20210901_000340.jpg
    IMG_20210901_000340.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210901_000405.jpg
    IMG_20210901_000405.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Don't forget it can take them a few days to get used to their new food ;)
When changing food I usually mix a bit of new with old, then increase the proportion of new till it's all new (same as with the cat :))

@Lajos_Detari I had found a couple of those links but couldn't find anywhere selling most of the brands. The Dennerle and GlasGarten food were the ones I could find.

Most reactions

trending

Back