Shrimp Die After A Water Change?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

There are a few shrimp diseases out there, and I am wondering if perhaps you have accidently bought a disease in with the shrimp? On the dead shrimp are their bodies all perfect? Do they have any signs of what looks like fungus on their bodies? There is even a deadly shrimp disease that looks very similar to the berried eggs on a female shrimp. There are other diseases that are harder to spot that cause a rust like colouration on the shrimp and also pitting on the shell.
In my experience the only times I have had cherry shrimp mass die has been when a heater malfunctioned and cooked the poor thinks (yes a red cherry shrimp cooked is still red), or when a filter has stopped working and I haven't noticed quickly enough.
I hope you can sort out the issues going on with your shrimp because they can be very rewarding and interesting critters.

This link might help if you suspect a disease in the tank.
http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/

You might be on to something there! I remember when I first got the tank there was a couple of deaths and the shrimp were covered in a white fluff, I put it down to bad water quality (it was owned by someone else and I took it over) the water was awful, it had so much crud in the bottom of it, I drove it home with the shrimp in the bottom of the tank and the substrate and dirt flew everywhere, I filled the tank up with clean water and from then on I was doing 30% changes every now and again... not too often, then I noticed the die off, some where fluffy, some went brown and black and others just dropped dead. It was probably a bacterial infection from the bad water.

Thinking about it, I should of changed their water more frequently as the substrate was filled with a layer of brown dirt, I tested the water but it was always all good so I didnt think too much of it. I had another death on Saturday, 2 days after a 30% change, but it was only one death not 4 or 5 like usual, I will carry on with this regime, I just wish Thursday would hurry up again as I really want to siphon the substrate under the java moss!! I will let you know how it goes.
LOL a cooked cherry shrimp is still red! Poor thing!

Most reactions

Back