Showing your fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pete

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So you wanna show your fish..........well heres a rough guide to help you prepare.............

Firstly make sure your fish is up to size, good size books are available from all GOOD lfs

Secondly make sure the fish you intend to show are in tip-top condition ie......no ripped fins or cloudy eyes etc.

Third you will need show tanks these must be left without substrate and have a clear glass lid with nothing attached to it.

Fourth transportation gear.......i use a large water container and a polybox for the fish....it is also always worth taking some ammo lock with you and dechlorinator as some venues may provide hot water but not dechlorinator.

Always try to bench your fish as early as possible so that the fish have time to settle in and "colour up" again

I have only recently started showing fish but these are a good basic guideline for anyone wishing to start showing their fish :D

As i learn more i'll post again on the subject :thumbs:

;) I always take my own water with me in 2ltr milk cartons with ammo-lock already in, I don't like using a venues 'cos I travel at least 100 miles to a show and the water may be very different.
TIP Don't feed your show fish for 2 days before an event, so they don't crap in the show tank. :thumbs: Mac.

A chemical that convert ammonia to a less harmful form

I always take my own water too but it helps to top up with hot at the venue if you can :D

Sorry Pete. lol

Ammo lock. Locks the ammonia in the water so it doesn't poison the fish. The amonias stil there in it's original form, just doesn't do anything. It's like putting a plaster on a cut to stem the flow(the ammonia's the blood leaking out and the ammo lock is the plaster stopping it leaking.....
. ok I'm rambling no. Nurse my medication please. lol

:) I never worry too much about loss of heat, even though the fish are tanked or bagged early in the morning and not home 'til late (usually 12-14 hr day!). I swear by ammo-lock for keeping fish in a small amount of water for this length of time, it definately helps as the fish show no signs of stress.(plenty tickets and specials to prove it). :laugh: :laugh: Mac.

Another ting to remember especially when showing larger fish like i do is a battery operated airpump just in case one of your fish starts struggling :what:

These are also handy in the case of a powercut, they are also quite cheap too :D

As for the ammo lock sorry guys but i was putting it in "laymens" terms but as per usual macs and adeyc's were put better than mine :laugh:

lol. no prob's m8. You're just out of practise, have a few beers and it'll all com back easier. Even if you have to read it with a hangover in the morning to make sure it made sense. lol :laugh:

As yes thats the trick i remember now lmfao :laugh: :laugh:

:p Bears and some of the beautiful amber nectar we produce in Gods country. :laugh: :laugh: Mac.

I'll let you in on the secret.

Months ago, yes Months ago. I had a typo. I typed Bears instead of Beers and there still bringing it up all the time :what:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back