should I trust this stand for my 20 gallon?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

GuppygirlLol

Reaction score
I recently had to move my 20 gallon high into my new apartment into this new shelf unit I ordered. I trusted it could hold 175 kgā€¦ until I saw the shelf was MDF. I had it built with just three tiers, placing the tank on top. (Didnā€™t have time before moving to get wood) Now I am thinking I need to move it all over again, on top of a strong piece of wood to replace the MDF. Do we think if I do that it will be sturdy? Is my tank safe for now if the shelf is kept dry? Or am I crazy for waiting until tomorrow to fix this? Please help
F610C46B-85D6-4CE4-8D18-61A0469386A5.png
09D173D6-1A4C-4701-A18C-2C60824C7AC4.png

If you had 4 mdf shelf but only built it with 3x why did u ou not just double up the mdf on the aquarium shelf? You had one spare...

Aquarium stands you buy are all mdf these days

Hello. I'd use the middle shelf for the tank. The shelves are rated to hold twice the weight of your fish tank. I don't think you have any worries. Just make sure you put it together properly.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Iā€™m not crazy about the legs on that thing. Those thin angle iron legs , if bent in even the very slightest amount by accidental impact , will fold up like an accordion under the weight . Go buy a made for aquariums stand or make one your own self. Years ago I had a friend who had one of those with dozens of small containers and aquariumā€™s for his Killifish set up. It eventually began to sag and it made me nervous just walking past it.

You can get a stand that is made to hold a fish tank for less than this.
Hello. I'd use the middle shelf for the tank. The shelves are rated to hold twice the weight of your fish tank. I don't think you have any worries. Just make sure you put it together properly.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
It actually feels sturdy but itā€™s the MDF I donā€™t like. I bought a piece of plywood and iā€™m going to paint and seal it so itā€™s water resistant. Should I use the wood over the MDF?

MDF is pretty poor for supporting an aquarium. The other thing to consider is that when you working on a tank it is not a static load but a dynamic one (try cleaning the interior glass without causing some sloshing). The stand you have chosen might be OK for storage but I don't think it is very good for an aquarium.

Our local fish store uses something similar but the angled supports are much heavier in construction and each layer is supported by 3/4" or 1" plywood.

Multi layers of MDF can distort if they are not bound together in some fashion.

These types of shelving work best with some weight on the bottom shelves, the weight pulls down on the supports and adds some lateral support. Only loading the top shelf means the metal junctions at the intersection on the lower shelves is not strongly engaged and therefore the top supports take all the lateral loading.

It might work OK but then again it might slowly twist and tilt till the shelving pulls from the vertical supports and it all comes down.

I just don't trust anything that wasn't specifically designed to hold a fish tank. You don't know how well it will hold the weight over time. You don't know how the water will affect the material. It's too risky IMO.

I bought something very similar, just a different name. I use it for my aquarium supplies, I wouldn't trust it to hold a tank full of water.

MDF for fish tank stands in one of the dumbest ideas on the planet.
Whoever thought of this idea definately has a huge deficiency in the intelligence department.
People need to turn their backs on these pathetic excuses for aquarium stands and STOP buying them.
Go for stands made from pine, they're fairly cheap and strong too (and its easy to add extra bracing if you decide too)...or, make your own, its really not that hard, you just need the tools.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back