Should I Throw Away My Media?

aaronnorth

www.ukaps.org
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
6,822
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Worksop, Notts, UK
I have just bought a classic eheim 2215, and it was used on a marine tank,(mine will be used with malawi cichlids). Can i boil the sponges and biomax and it will be safe or shall i use new? I do have new media but there is quite a lot of moneys worth of biomax. I will also be buying new piping (this isn't long enough anyway).

Anything else i should be wary of because of the salt?

thanks.
 
I have just bought a classic eheim 2215, and it was used on a marine tank,(mine will be used with malawi cichlids). Can i boil the sponges and biomax and it will be safe or shall i use new? I do have new media but there is quite a lot of moneys worth of biomax. I will also be buying new piping (this isn't long enough anyway).

Anything else i should be wary of because of the salt?

thanks.
I bought 2 used sw filters for my cichlid tank. They are eheim pro II 2028. I just threw away the old media and rinsed out the canister and hoses really good and then filled up w/the new stuff :good:
 
i used a external on freshwater previously from a marine tank, its fine. dont bin the media, just rise rinse and rinse more with fresh water, you could also leave the sponges soaking in water overnight. Then change the water and leave again.

Good luck, Adam
 
Sounds to me like all you should need to do is rinse out the salt. The filter used for salt water will probably have lots of salt deposits in the filter and all the media but if you can rinse the salt out the media should be fine.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top