Should I Make Ice Cubes From Tap Water Or Water Filtered Through Pitch

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Boris_yo

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in a hot climate and sometimes I want to maintain temperature in a freshwater aquarium. I usually make ice cubes from water that was filtered through kitchen pitcher which I later drop in a full bucket when when I do water changes, followed by a few drops of Seachem Prime.

I don't want to expose goldfish to tap water because I do not have full details of its composition so I am wondering if it's pitcher filtered water that I should keep using or still consider tap water?

Thanks

Just use a bottle of water kept in the freezer.  Drop the whole bottle in, and the water won't leak into the tank water.

eaglesaquarium said:
Just use a bottle of water kept in the freezer.  Drop the whole bottle in, and the water won't leak into the tank water.

Not an option. Aquarium is not big enough.

If the tank isn't large enough to float even a single water bottle, then I don't believe it is suitable for even a single goldfish.

To clarify, you meant small water bottle like 250ml - 350ml?

Yes, I meant a water bottle, no larger than 500mL.

And for clarification on goldfish:
A single goldfish should be kept in a 20 gallon (~75L) tank.  Each additional goldfish would need another 10 gallons (~40L) of space.

I'd recommend reading our article on keeping goldies.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/417799-goldfish-for-beginners/

I thought it is unsafe to drop plastic bottle into aquarium. Normally those have stickers of a drink they contained. I could peel it off but then glue residue would be left. I wouldn't want that toxin to come in contact with aquarium water.

I think you are being a little overprotective.  But, you could get ANY bottle.  A small 'tupperware' type, reusable bottle, whatever.  Lots of options, but if you keep the water sealed from the tank water, it doesn't matter what type of water you are using.

You could use something like this: 
ReusableFoldableWaterBottleSmallCollapsibleWaterBottleForTravel_01.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back