Should I get shrimp? and which ones?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

hurgerburger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago, I got a new betta fish. for some reason I have been having a lot of trouble with hair algae- it could be that Ned is eating all the microorganisms that used to be living in the tank. I'm not sure why. I've read online that shrimp eat hair algae, but I'm nor sure if my tank is suited for shrimp. it's 5.5 gal, heavily planted, tons of nooks and crannies to hide in, but I'm not sure if it's big enough. I've seen online that you need at least 5 gallons, but I'm not sure if that's per shrimp or not. I've seen also that you shouldn't keep them with betta fish, but my guy is pretty peaceful. I'm not particularly worried about them breeding, seeing as I have a population of hydra in my tank and Ned likes to eat copepods and planaria. This tank will eventually be given back to my high school choir class when I go off to college next year, so I don't want the shrimp to be much of a hassle either. I have material to make a shrimp-proof lid. If you think I should get them, which type should I get?
Ned tank.jpg

Your algae seems to be growing where the light is stronger. How many hours a day is it on for? Also, Ned is providing additional ammonia. Is there a filter? What are your parameters?

Water changes and good water quality will help with the algae and give Ned a happy home. I strongly advice against shrimp sharing a tank with a Betta, even though your tank looks like it has a lot of hiding places. You could look into a Zebra Nerite, but most critters are not fond of hair algae.

I havenā€™t kept a betta for at least a decade, and I only got my first shrimps a month ago or so.

most of the sentiment seems to be put shrimp with a betta at your own risk.

My nerites did nothing to clean up hair algae. Shrimp (amano shrimp, bought nearly at adult size), did eventually take care of it, but it took weeks, and I didnā€™t have that much to begin with. But they will eat other algae first thatā€™s easier to consume.

they will also eat uneaten fish food before they tackle hair algae.

if youā€™re intent on getting shrimp, I would suggest a larger species and not too colourful.

just know that one of the best ways to deal with algae is to try to determine why itā€™s growing and correct those issues first, then add pets that can help treat it.

Your algae seems to be growing where the light is stronger. How many hours a day is it on for? Also, Ned is providing additional ammonia. Is there a filter? What are your parameters?

Water changes and good water quality will help with the algae and give Ned a happy home. I strongly advice against shrimp sharing a tank with a Betta, even though your tank looks like it has a lot of hiding places. You could look into a Zebra Nerite, but most critters are not fond of hair algae.
hair algae is too hard for most things, amano shrimp are big enough not to be harrased

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back