Aussie_Dog
Fish Fanatic
I have a 60gal with two AquaClear filters (the 70, which is for 60-70gals, and the 30 which I got when cycling was stalled for a month and I couldn't figure out why and decided to try one more thing and get an extra little filter to help out). Last night, the media tray for the 70 wasn't staying in the filter, it was rising up out of the filter. So I decided to clean it, as maybe there was just too much gunk in there and was too slimy for the tray to "catch" on whatever it is that keeps it put. BUT, when I cleaned the filter and set it aside on the washing machine so I could get started on the propeller thing, it fell over and hit the floor. Yup, got a nice crack in it. I tried to find duct tape (could that work?) but couldn't find any, and in desperation, went with manilla tape. Figured it might last a day or two until I could get a new one. Woke up this morning with roughly 10-15 gallons of water on the floor (CARPET!). Naturally, the tape couldn't win the war, and the water eeked through and dripped all night. So I'm bummed. Fortunately I do have that other filter so it's not like the water is NOT being filtered AT ALL, but it's not going to be able to filter the whole tank.
I put the media in the tank, and while I know it won't kill the fish (pshh, I've put filter media in my Betta tanks when I changed filter medias and didn't want a minicycle to start up), but I'm not completely sure that it won't kill the bacteria. I know the media needs motion running through it to keep the bacteria alive, but what about just sitting in regular tank water (with fish swimming around it, lol). When I get a new filter, am I going to have to deal with a minicycle? I can't get a new one today as I have to head in to work (I don't drive, it's all about the bus for me) and I won't be off work until after Petsmart has closed. I'll have to go get one tomorrow. Will the media last until then?
I've been wanting a canister filter for a while, and I think this has now pushed me to finally send in a check for the one I ordered AGES ago at the Big Al's site. I wonder how long they hold orders...
I put the media in the tank, and while I know it won't kill the fish (pshh, I've put filter media in my Betta tanks when I changed filter medias and didn't want a minicycle to start up), but I'm not completely sure that it won't kill the bacteria. I know the media needs motion running through it to keep the bacteria alive, but what about just sitting in regular tank water (with fish swimming around it, lol). When I get a new filter, am I going to have to deal with a minicycle? I can't get a new one today as I have to head in to work (I don't drive, it's all about the bus for me) and I won't be off work until after Petsmart has closed. I'll have to go get one tomorrow. Will the media last until then?
I've been wanting a canister filter for a while, and I think this has now pushed me to finally send in a check for the one I ordered AGES ago at the Big Al's site. I wonder how long they hold orders...







