Shipping fishes in Canada?

yhbae

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but....

Has anyone figured out a way to ship fishes (live ones!) to other locations within Canada?

I've called the following:

- UPS: Nope
- Fed Ex: Nope
- Canada Post: Nope
- Purolator: Nope

I'm running out of ideas!

Why does Fed Ex in US allow live goods to be shipped within US but not in Canada? I guess Canadian government has set some policy on this?

The only thing I've found so far is the airport to airport delivery, which is VERY expensive...

If anyone has found a way to deliver, please share! ;)

You can contant tropical fish whole salers to transport fish for you or you could at least contact them to get suggestions.

Yeah, I agree. Or you can have a devoted friend drive all the way to Canada and deliver it. Or you can deliver it yourself, car or plane.

a1wonder said:
You can contant tropical fish whole salers to transport fish for you or you could at least contact them to get suggestions.
That could be a starting point... But I'm pretty sure they use airport to airport delivery. Although expensive, the minimum volume is quite large, so if you are handling a large number of fishes, it actually isn't too bad...

Not an option for me though... :rolleyes:

So no one has ever successfully shipped live fishes without using airport method??? This kind of s*cks... ;)

I looked into that as well - they don't operate in Quebec... :lol:

The service that runs in Quebec is only good for Eastern provinces such as Atlantic provinces and Ontario. They don't cover the rest...

Still searching..... ;)

maybe check via rail... i know they used to do some package shipping, not sure if they still do thou. i suspect it would be rather limited. -_-

maui said:
maybe check via rail... i know they used to do some package shipping, not sure if they still do thou. i suspect it would be rather limited. -_-
Hmm.. That could be an option - I should check their web, thanks! ;)

But still it is unfortunate, since if FedEx or UPS delivers them, I could send fishes for $20 overnight to other Canadian locations... :unsure:

yeah it bites that they dont do it. :grr:
have you ever shipped fish from else where into canada? if so how did it go? im curious as i would like to purchase some on an auction one day.

maui said:
yeah it bites that they dont do it. :grr:
have you ever shipped fish from else where into canada? if so how did it go? im curious as i would like to purchase some on an auction one day.
That doesn't work very well either - it takes time for the border to inspect and they also charge a small fortune... Your seller has to make some pre-arrangements as well.

I never buy live goods through a mail order for this reasion... :angry:

awh shucks, thats really disapointing to find out. :/
I guess i will have to look into breeders in my area as well as betta shows.
thanks for the info, i know now not to waste tooo much time dreaming and drooling over the auction fish. :rolleyes:

yhbae said:
I looked into that as well - they don't operate in Quebec... :lol:

The service that runs in Quebec is only good for Eastern provinces such as Atlantic provinces and Ontario. They don't cover the rest...

Still searching..... ;)
Are you from quebec?!?! :hyper: or are you just delivering there?
Sorry i get excited when i find members near me.

snowyangel said:
yhbae said:
I looked into that as well - they don't operate in Quebec...  :lol:

Still searching.....  ;)
Are you from quebec?!?! :hyper: or are you just delivering there?
Sorry i get excited when i find members near me.
I live in Montreal region, west Pierrefonds to be exact.... Where are you located? ;)

Most reactions

Back