Shadow's DNA results

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alice B

Fish Herder
Reaction score
We didn't do a guessing game on him, but here are his Embark results. I was just wondering if he would get larger, as he is a year and about 8 months old, and I don't think he is going to. He is very petite for either a german shepherd or a doberman. But he did have those ancestors, in part.... that's about half of him. He only weighs 44 pounds, but he is very tall with dainty long legs.

Attachments

• shadow2459.png
    shadow2459.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 68
I guess he isn't a kelpie but he sure doesn't look like a red heeler except that patch on his chest

The dog looks like a black and tan kelpie, right down to the eyebrows and ears. The size of the dog would also suggest kelpie.

Is he/ she hyperactive and run like the wind any chance they get?
If yes, it's a kelpie.

@Colin_T He runs like the wind, jumps like springs on feet. I think DNA test saying 37% Australian Cattle Dog really should say 37% Kelpie, but they didn't put me in charge. He can be calm in his crate for hours, but that would be the german shepherd part. For exercise I take him to my helper's house to run with their greyhound. He is quite interested in livestock too. She has goats and horses and chickens and a pig. He tries to get the pig to chase him. Pic after chasing around trying to get the greyhound to run with him.

Attachments

• Shadow_sm.jpg
    Shadow_sm.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 50
@Colin_T He runs like the wind, jumps like springs on feet. I think DNA test saying 37% Australian Cattle Dog really should say 37% Kelpie, but they didn't put me in charge. He can be calm in his crate for hours, but that would be the german shepherd part. For exercise I take him to my helper's house to run with their greyhound. He is quite interested in livestock too. She has goats and horses and chickens and a pig. He tries to get the pig to chase him. Pic after chasing around trying to get the greyhound to run with him.
Sounds like a kelpie. They can run for hours and are nearly as quick as a greyhound over short distances but can keep up the speed for longer than a greyhound.

They jump on the back of sheep and run along their backs to get from A to B. They can also jump 6 foot high fences, and they are pretty good at climbing too. My gran had a kelpie x lab and it used to jump up and down at the back door and by the fence. It looked like a kid on a trampoline and would literally just spring up into the air and be 5 or 6 feet above the ground. Then it would land and bounce straight back up again. It was hilarious.

Trying to heard any livestock or children is a typical kelpie trait.

Running around like a mad chook for an hour and then standing there with the tongue hanging out saying "more" is also kelpie :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back